Using "not that much" to modify comparative adjectives to a small degree

HuskBlom

Banned
Spanish - Spain (EU)
Good morning.

Using as a reference the point of grammar listed above and the following example: "Although she is not that much older than I am one could think there were quite a few years between us", I have come up with the following sentence:

-The explanation of the issue has been delivered not much clearer in comparison to other occasions, and consequently we staff are forced to arrange a day to gather all the workforce again in order to work through this inconvenience.

I'd like to know if that sentence is grammatically correct.

Thanks

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The explanation of the issue has been delivered (not much) clearer...
    In order for that to work, the sentence would need to be correct even if you omitted "not much" - as in the sentence you correctly quote, with "Although she is (not much) older than I am..."

"The explanation has been delivered clearer..." is ungrammatical and I'm not sure what your sentence means.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The example sentence breaks down as:

(Although) she is not that much older than I am
    one could think there were quite a few years between us

This could be written more simply as:

She is slightly older than me
    (but) she seems much older than me

Your sentence in bold is long and complicated. I do not understand it. But the phrase "not that much" is only a small part of your sentence.

If you want to practice using "not that much" correctly, it is best to use it in a very short sentence.

< Previous | Next >