using "what" in vernacular?

< Previous | Next >

jj88

English, US
Hi, I'm writing an essay, and I was wondering if this sentence makes sense:

I wrestled with these thoughts and questions for what felt like eternity.

"What" isn't vernacular in this sentence, but I didn't know what else to call it. I'm sure I've read sentences like this before in books, magazines, etc.

• You little ripper!

Australian English
    jj88 said:

"What" isn't vernacular in this sentence, but I didn't know what else to call it. I'm sure I've read sentences like this before in books, magazines, etc.

That sounds fine to me. If I was using that sentence tho', I would probably say "for what felt like an eternity".

jimreilly

American English
    jj88 said:

The sentence is fine as it is, but it would be more commonly written or said: "I wrestled with these thoughts and questions for what felt like an eternity". I don't know why!

M56

Banned
    Britain. English.
    jj88 said:

The expression is "for what seemed/felt like a/an" for singular nouns and "what seemed/felt like + plural nouns, but there are also fixed expression like "for an eternity".

< Previous | Next >