Usually, she calls to her mum at 9 (o'clock) in the evening.

Creature from the Sun

Russian
Dear Gurus,

Usually, she calls to her mum at 9 (o'clock) in the evening. (meaning - makes a call)
1.It seems like we can use both (adding or omitting 'o'clock') with different meaning, at about 9 or at 9 sharp. Am I right?
2. Must we use 'to' or we can omit it?

Thank you!

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    It seems like we can use both (adding or omitting 'o'clock'):thumbsup: with different meaning:confused:
    I don't see a difference of precision between "9 in the evening" and "9 o'clock in the evening".

Creature from the Sun

Russian
    I don't see a difference of precision between "9 in the evening" and "9 o'clock in the evening".
    I thought, when we say 'o'clock' it means 'sharp' and when omit it, it can be understood as 'about'. So, both mean 'sharp' then? And to make it 'about' we should directly say 'at about 9 in the evening', shouldn't we?

Language Hound

American English
    So, in AmE it should be: Usually, she calls her mum at 9 (o'clock) in the evening. Right?
    No, in AE we would use mom instead of mum.

I thought, when we say 'o'clock' it means 'sharp' and when omit it, it can be understood as 'about'. So, both mean 'sharp' then? And to make it 'about' we should directly say 'at about 9 in the evening', shouldn't we?
    At nine and at nine o'clock mean the same thing.
    If you mean "about nine o'clock," you need to use either "about" or "around."

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    At 9:10 p.m. my phone rings. I answer and say "It's nine o'clock in the evening. Why are you calling me so late?"
    "Around" or "about" would sound weird in this sentence.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is the same in BE:
    1.It seems like we can use both (adding or omitting 'o'clock') with different meaning, at about 9 or at 9 sharp. Am I right?
    2. Must we use 'to' or we can omit it?
    Usually, she calls to her mum at 9 (o'clock) in the evening. :cross:
    Usually, she calls her mum at 9 (o'clock) in the evening. :tick:

9 = 9 o'clock

Unless it is specified, nine/nine o'clock means "9 o'clock plus or minus 5 minutes"

Usually, she calls her mum at 9 (o'clock) plus or minus 5 minutes
    Usually, she calls her mum at exactly/precisely 9 (o'clock)
    Usually, she calls her mum about 9 (o'clock)
    plus or minus 30 minutes

< Previous | Next >