Uzbek(?): Muhabbat

jbwooten89

USA, English
I've been listening to an artist named Yulduz Usmanova and I've been hearing this word (sounds like Muhabbat.. not sure if that's how it's spelled) and I really want to know what it means! She sings about it all the time. I really enjoy her music but I'm kinda sad that I can't understand ANYTHING that she's talking about haha.

So yeah.. Muhabbat.. what does it mean?!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Tangriberdi

Türkiye, Türkiye Türkçesi
    Muhabbet in Turkish means conversation. But in the phrase "Allah muhabbetinizi arttırsın", it gets closer to the meaning of "attachment", "mutual love". I know muhabbet used to mean "love" in Ottoman era.

Pontic Greeks (from the shores of the Black Sea in Anatolia) who speak a unique Greek dialect, with archaisms of Ionic origin and influences by the Turkish and Persian languages, call «μουχαμπέτ» (muxam'bet, n.) or «μουχαμπέτι» (muxam'beti, n.) the festivities - accompanied by traditional Pontic singing/music, food, dance, drinking - on a day of religious significance (e.g. in honour of a Saint of the Orthodox Church). They also call it «συναπάντεμα» (sina'pandema, n.)-->encountering, gathering

altay

Azerbaycan Dili
    Muhabbat comes from arabic rootحب and means "to love".it is a common word in Turkic languages ,persian and urdu.

altay

Azerbaycan Dili
    Is Indian Mahabharata related in any way with this Arabic muhabbet ? We also call the "lovebird" as "muhabbet kuşu" in Turkey.

In indian Bharat means Land,Country,Hindustan(not sure),and this word derives from Sanskrit.and also arabic words are recognizeable in Asian languages specially becouse of their structure.