Vague TKT quiz.

< Previous | Next >

teacherdehnavi

Persian
Please anybody can tell me why the following quiz's correct answer is B based on the TKT book.

Two of the words have the same grammatical function in the sentence. One does NOT. Choose the letter(A,B or C) which does NOT have the same grammatical function.
It was built when they were young, so they don't remember the old building
A was
B were
C don't

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It does look a silly question. I can find one reason why B is different, but equally good reasons why A and C are.

teacherdehnavi

Persian
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I have understood your question.

What does "same grammatical function" mean here? What is it the same as?
    the question is about grammatical functions. it wants you to cross out the dissimilar or different option that has a different function from the other 2

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    As PaulQ said, auxiliary is (presumably) the function they are talking about, rather than negation or main-clause verb. 'Were' here is used as a copula. (Do people still say copula?)

Barque

Tamil
    I don't know much about grammatical terms but isn't "were" an auxiliary verb too?

Also, "were" and "don't" are both used with plural nouns, while "was" is used with singular ones, which seems to make "was" the odd one out.

Similarly, "was" and "were" are both past tense, while "don't" is used in the present, which makes "don't" different.

teacherdehnavi

Persian
    As PaulQ said, auxiliary is (presumably) the function they are talking about, rather than negation or main-clause verb. 'Were' here is used as a copula. (Do people still say copula?)
    This kind of test is insane. I don't know how and when i will have enough knowledge to rise above these tricky questions after 8 years of teaching and studying

< Previous | Next >