Valori di riferimento

psantofe

ITALY- ITALIAN
Nella stesura di un manuale tecnico, devo tradurre quanto segue:
i valori sono puramente indicativi e non rappresentano assolutamente i valori da prendere come riferimento
shown values are provided only as a guide; don’t use them has exact reference

Può andare?

• elfa

English
    Perhaps

The values indicated are a guide and are not be used as an exact reference/may or may not be close to the target values.

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    Or The values indicated are for illustration purposes only and are not to be used as an exact reference
    I prefer "not to be used" here to "may or may not" as the OT seems quite strong (non rappresentano assolutamente) in this regard.

elfa

English
    Or The values indicated are for illustration purposes only and are not to be used as an exact reference
    I prefer "not to be used" here to "may or may not" as the OT seems quite strong (non rappresentano assolutamente) in this regard.

Hi KC :)

I agree about your second point - I just put that in as an alternative should psantofe wish to use it.

"Illustrations" brings to mind a table or a design (even though the term isn't used exclusively to mean that) so I think it would depend on psantofe's context as to whether he think appropriate to use.

psantofe

ITALY- ITALIAN
    mi choice is:
    The values indicated are for illustration purposes only and are not to be used as an exact reference
    Thanks folks

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    Hi KC :)

I agree about your second point - I just put that in as an alternative should psantofe wish to use it.

"Illustrations" brings to mind a table or a design (even though the term isn't used exclusively to mean that) so I think it would depend on psantofe's context as to whether he think appropriate to use.

Ciao Elfa,;)
    I agree that for illustration purposes only is a typical caveat used chiefly when the information is presented in the format of pictures, tables, drawings etc., but this collocation seems to be used also for other types of data not appearing in a graphical form (for example financial data, here is an example).
    That being said I agree that in this case we could avoid it if we think it wouldn’t sound appropriate for the type of data presented in psantofe’s manual.