valutare il loro potenziale

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by anglomania1, May 11, 2012.

1. anglomania1

anglomania1 Senior Member

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hi there,
    I'm still on the description of a winery and we are now on the cellar and ageing rooms etc.

The sentence is:
    Lo stesso locale ospita anche le vecchie annate che vengono conservate per seguire l'evoluzione dei vini e valutare il loro potenziale di invecchiamento, coricate alla temperatura naturale di 13/16 °C con un'umidità del 70% .

I've always thought of "valutare" as assess, and looking in the dictionary I couldn''t find any translation that could fit here so I'm going to have to go with guesswork and your help, of course!:)

My try:
    The same area also houses the old vintages that are preserved to let the wines evolve and assess their ageing potential, laid down at a natural temperature of 13-16°C with 70% humidity.

Assess/esteem/value/evaluate (and anything else I found in WR dicitionary) doesn't work here.
    What exactly is the meaning? What kind of verb can go with "ageing potential"? Increase or enhance their ageing potential? But what on earth does that mean? Does it just mean to allow them to age better?

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Anglo

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Alessandrino Senior Member

Roma
    Italiano
    Good morning!

I don't have a problem with valutare here, but I'm at a total loss with potenziale d'invecchiamento. What is this? Is it something that can be measured objectively, or is a "personal opinion" of the evaluator? In the first case we could use gauge. I'm sure that increase wouldn't work either, 'cause, as you say, valutare means assess/esteem/value/evaluate.

3. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    I'd use "evaluate" - Increase or enhance mean something different from what valutare means here.

4. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hi there and thanks,
    so do you think it just means to keep an eye on the wines and see how they age, if the ageing is going well, to assess if the wine turns out to be one that can be aged for a really long time, or maybe not?? That sort of thing?
    I suppose it makes sense, though onece the wine is in the bottle it's difficult to know and assess what's happening (unless you keep opening bottles to try them!!),
    Thanks, I think I was just reading it the wrong way,
    Anglo

5. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Exactly and maybe check back with the producer and let them know how the ageing is going.

6. Anja.Ann

Anja.Ann Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Ciao a tutti :)

I agree. :) Anglo, I think "potenziale" actually means "potenzialità" here, i.e. "capacity" :) thus, you got it right: "potenziale d'invecchiamento" the (maximum) aging capacity of the wine with a view to obtaining the very best from its bouquet. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. anglomania1

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Thanks everyone!:)