vaneamiento del arroz

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by viscaelpaviscaelvi, Jan 29, 2018.

1. viscaelpaviscaelvi Member

Spanish Spain
    Hi

I need to know the English for "vaneamiento" (del arroz). Vaneamiento refers to the hollowing out or emptying out of the rice grain, which becomes "vano" (empty). The expression "vaneo" is also used.
    It can be caused by mites (Steneotarsonemus spinki, for instance), insects, even worms, and also can be the result of weather conditions, issues with the water...), so it seems to be a catch-all word to describe an effect on the plant that leaves the farmer with no rice grain in an empty shell.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers

Does "rice seedling blight" seem like a good solution to anyone? Or is it too specific or too broad a term to match "vaneamiento"?

2. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian from Italy
    I suggest "caryopsis/kernel disruption of rice".

Bye,

Benzene

3. viscaelpaviscaelvi Member

Spanish Spain
    Hi
    thanks for the hint, but, unless I am terribly wrong in my searches, "vanemamiento" refers to an anomalous condition of the grain, whereas "caryopsis" is a type of grain (from wikipedia).
    Are you sure that caryopsis is the word?
    Thanks

4. Benzene

Benzene Senior Member

GENOA (ITALY)
    Italian from Italy
    Hello viscaelpaviscaelvi!
    Caryopsis

NOUN plural caryopses
    Botany
    A dry one-seeded fruit in which the ovary wall is united with the seed coat, typical of grasses and cereals.

Origin
    Early 19th century: from modern Latin, from Greek karuon ‘nut’ + opsis ‘appearance’.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Kernel
    NOUN
    Botany
    The seed and hard husk of a cereal, especially wheat.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

You may use the noun "caryopsis" since "rice" is a "cereal".

Kernel
    is more specific for wheat.

Bye,

Benzene

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  5. viscaelpaviscaelvi Member

Spanish Spain
    Thank you very much :)