Variegated writer

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

Does the phrase "variegated writer" work for you? I like it myself, but it does stand out.

Variegated in the sense of "tackling a varied array of subjects."

Thanks!

• susanna76

Romanian
    Yes, variegated does primarily mean multicolored, but it can also mean "varied; diversified; diverse." And I've seen "variegated writer" on Google from some authoritative figures. But I can understand if the phrase makes it sound like the writer is some kind of animal :)

heypresto

English - England
    OK, I concede it does appear to exist 'out there', but I've not come across it before, and I wouldn't happily use it myself.

I think 'variegated' should stay where it belongs - describing these sort of leaves:

Last edited:

The Newt

English - US
    OK, I concede it does appear to exist 'out there', but I've not come across it before, and I wouldn't happily use it myself.
    Doing a quick Google myself the instances of "variegated writer" seem to be mostly from several generations back, not recent. It sounds odd to me too.

srk

English - US
    "Variegated writer" does not occur often enough in books to show up in ngrams. "Multifaceted writer" does. I wonder if that would work for you.

< Previous | Next >