various vs variable

pollock

Polish
Hi there,

I have used a following phrase in my covering letter but I am not sure about variable/various word and context beetwen them.

Which of them am I suppose to use?
'' My experience includes variable/various print and web solutions for many clients and more artistic endeavours cuch as poster design and photography''.
I think that the word ''various'' is more appropriate to the context?

Thanks

Pollock

• curlyboy20

Peruvian Spanish.
    Hi there,

I have used a following phrase in my covering letter but I am not sure about variable/various :tick:word and context beetwen them.

Which of them am I suppose to use?

I think that the word ''various'' is more appropriate to the context?

Thanks

Pollock
    Various means many, and variable means something that varies/changes. So I´d say various fits your needs better.

'' My experience includes various print and web solutions for many clients and more artistic endeavours such as poster design and photography''.

Whizbang

English - American
    "Various" is correct here, meaning "a diverse selection of".

"Variable" means "changing" and implies to me either that the solutions encompass a range of quality from bad to good or that each individual solution is in the act changing from moment to moment.

I think it is a typo, but you wrote "cuch as poster design" instead of "such as poster design".

Since you used the spelling "endeavours" instead of "endeavors", you should defer to a speaker of British English if you get a different answer downthread.

pollock

Polish
    Many thanks - now is more clear than before.

I have used similar sentence in my CV's profile section and I suppose that various should be more specific instead variable again.

''Adaptable and creative, agency experienced graphic designer who has produced variable print
    and web solutions for a variety of clients.''

Whizbang

English - American
    Many thanks - now is more clear than before.

I have used similar sentence in my CV's profile section and I suppose that various should be more specific instead variable again.
    Correct. "Various" is more appropriate for the second statement as well.

amby

Banned
    chinese
    Then, can I use varoiusly instead of in many ways?

You can use this computer variously.

Or is ' variably' more appropriate?

Engie

English - American/English - UK
    Then, can I use varoiusly instead of in many ways?

You can use this computer variously.

Or is ' variably' more appropriate?
    Variably is correct, because you're describing that how the way you use your computer changes.

Various would be correct in a context similar to ​My computer has many various uses.

Ironicus

English & Swahili - East Africa
    If you are looking for a new word to express an idea you can express perfectly well in other words, and you are uncertain of the new word, just use the other word, For example:
    1. I can use my computer in many different ways.
    2. I have worked on many different problems in Web and graphic design... You can then add words to the effect that your clients were delighted and rewarded you richly.
    I think this sort of problem arises when people focus on how to talk about what they have done, instead of enumerating their deeds and letting them speak for themselves.

< Previous | Next >