varying pace and varying paces

quantum zero

Japanese
Hey guys I was wondering Is it correct to write" the water runs at varying paces." or " the water runs at varying pace." Or do those two have any difference at all?

• Copyright

American English
    Those two don't mean anything at all because water doesn't have a pace -- or at least we don't describe it as having a pace. If you can tell us the situation (context), we can help.

quantum zero

Japanese
    Sorry i don't understand what you meant. Is it wrong to describe a rate of movement of the water by using the word pace? Can we say water moves at a rapid pace?

Sheeno

British English
    Grammatically, I think it should be "the water runs at a varying pace". As Copyright says it is a somewhat strange word to use to describe water ("the water runs at varying speeds" would be more common), but I'd say it's perfectly understandable and not necessarily incorrect.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I would use "the water runs at varying rates" or "the water runs at a varying rate."

Copyright

American English
    It would still help if you told us the situation: water runs anywhere from the ocean, rivers, streams and springs to the tap.

< Previous | Next >