varying stages of inebriation

corta12

Japanese
Miss Looks: Do you mind sending me your photo?—Ravishing Regards, E. Jean

E. Jean: I recently graduated from college, so I apologize—but nearly all my photos are at varying stages of inebriation. I'm attaching a few.

What does inebriation mean in this context, please? Thanks.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us where you found this dialogue, corta12. Also, have you looke4d up "inebriation" in the dictionary? What about the definition is confusing you?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I would understand the sentence to mean that most of the photos of the speaker during his/her college years show him/her while drunk.

corta12

Japanese
    Thanks for the answers both. But I'm kind of having a hard time understanding what you both wrote. I'd appreciate it if you could put it another way.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If taken literally, "nearly all my photos are at varying stages of inebriation" means that the photos are drunk. We understand instead, however, that it is the person in them who is drunk -- more drunk in some photos than in others.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    What is still confusing you, corta12?

"Nearly all my photos are at varying stages of inebriation."

Literal meaning: Almost all of the photos of me are at different levels of drunkenness.
    Intended/understood meaning: Almost all of the photos of me show me at different levels of drunkenness.

< Previous | Next >