VAT identification number

< Previous | Next >

aesir

Banned
Russian
The following is the definition for VAT - I am confused, however, as to what kind of value/values is/are added to this number. Or maybe "VA" doesn't really mean anything here? Thank you.

VAT identification number
A value added tax identification number or VAT identification number (VATIN) is an identifier used in many countries, including the countries of the European Union, for value added tax purposes.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In HMRC is is usually called a "VAT Number", never a "VAT Identification Number".
    VAT identification numbers - Taxation and customs union - European Commission
    What is a VAT identification number?

Sometimes also known as a VAT registration number, this is the unique number that identifies a taxable person (business) or non-taxable legal entity that is registered for VAT.
    The EU is on your case, expect a knock at the door when you least expect it...

aesir

Banned
    Russian
    Hello, thank you all for trying to help me out here!

I am still a bit confused about the term - according to Wikipedia, it's a number used to allocate and provide the name or other identifying details of the entity to whom the identifier has been allocated, but according to Investopedia, it's a value-added tax placed on a product.

So my question here is if this number refers to an entity or to a product.

Thank you once again!

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I am still a bit confused about the term - according to Wikipedia, it's a number used to allocate and provide the name or other identifying details of the entity to whom the identifier has been allocated, but according to Investopedia, it's a value-added tax placed on a product.
    You are using too many non-referenced pronouns. I have marked them in red.

Can you please give the links to Wikipedia and Investopedia?

Andygc

British English
    VAT is the tax.
    The VATIN or "VAT number" is the reference number which identifies the business that is collecting the tax or claiming relief from the tax.
    In the UK, and presumably everywhere else that collects VAT, a VAT receipt or invoice is a payment receipt or invoice which shows how much VAT has been charged, and also shows the VAT number of the business that issued the receipt or invoice.

PS, Investopedia does not have an entry for VAT identification number. It has one for VAT: Value-Added Tax - VAT

< Previous | Next >