VAT [pronunciation]

< Previous | Next >
  • boozer

Bulgarian
    In more official circumstances I say the three letters, otherwise I say "vat" - /væt/ although I shouldn't - I just take the liberty :). But whatever you do, do not say it like you say "vet". :)

PS. Ah, LBEF, by the way, the correct spelling of "pronunciation" is this one. :)

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    I have heard VAT used both ways, but foreros from countries suffering such a thing ;) would be more qualified to respond than I.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    As sdgraham notes, other than in the state of Louisiana the value added tax does not exist in the US, and most Americans are completely unfamiliar with the concept. I would wager that most Americans would not recognize VAT no matter how it was pronounced. Therefore, when speaking to American speakers of English, you would probably do best not to use the acronym at all.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    And what do Americans have then?
    Some states (I'm not sure how many) have a sales tax; the end customer pays a percentage of the retail price of the item, in addition to the price itself. The sales tax in my state is currently 8.875 percent. (The seller must collect the taxes and send them to the government.)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think saying vee-eh-tee is more common, particularly in more formal situations. In places where the term used is GST (goods and services tax) like Australia, Canada or Singapore, I might use that term instead; and to Americans I might just say sales tax​.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I think saying vee-eh-tee is more common, particularly in more formal situations. In places where the term used is GST (goods and services tax) like Australia, Canada or Singapore, I might use that term instead; and to Americans I might just say sales tax​.
    Although a sales tax and a value added tax are very different things. That is why you can get VAT refunded if you are a tourist, but if you ask for a refund of sales tax all you will get back is a puzzled look.

< Previous | Next >