vegans of color

Vanloon

Hindi
637: Words You Can't Say - This American Life

It had 93 entries, accusing her of hypocrisy, ignorance, insensitivity. It explained why her commentary had been hurtful, not just to trans people, but to women, people suffering from mental illness, Muslims, millennials, vegans of color. When she first started making videos, it felt like freedom, and now it felt like the opposite.

What does 'vegans of color' mean here?
thanks!

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    black vegans means...black people who eats only vegetable things?
    "black vegans" = "black/Black people who don't eat (meat, honey, milk..) or use (silk, leather, wool....) anything of animal origin", only fruits and vegetables)". (P.S., "people who eats" - no "s", people is plural.)

cxadio

English – Atlanta
    Black or brown people who consume exclusively vegetable products (no meat, eggs, or dairy).

Edit: cross-posted

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Sorry, I misquoted your title: I should have written "vegans of color" = "black/Black and brown people who...", as Vanloon says. For some reason, "people of color" - often abbreviated to "PoC" - isn't usually usually understood as including people with "red" or "yellow" skin, although it basically means "non-whites/Whites". (Of course, "white" people are a minority of the global population... :D :rolleyes: ) Namaste!

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Is "vegans of color"some kind of joke, or is it an actually-existing "identity" in the US?
    It certainly struck me as a joke.

I guess it depends on the tone of the whole article whether this person thinks minorities are all feeble snowflakes who complain and take offence at anything. Or the author is totally in tune with every nuance of diversity.

Linkway

British English
    Is "vegans of color"some kind of joke, or is it an actually-existing "identity" in the US?
    There is nothing in the original post to compellingly indicate that; what is clear is that her commentary had been hurtful to PoC who are also vegan.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Nothing would surprise me these days, but "vegan of color" as opposed to a vegan who is white? That sounds discriminating to me. So it's probably a joke category. Or not.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Nothing would surprise me these days, but "vegan of color" as opposed to a vegan who is white? That sounds discriminating to me. So it's probably a joke category. Or not.
    This eternal truth, may help... or not. Poe's law - Wikipedia which is now understood in a far broader context - good satire is impossible to distinguish from the truth.

We need some of this: Irony punctuation - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    I agree. If a cannibal said that he only eats white people, that might offend vegans of color, but I can't imagine anything "real" that would unite those two categories into one group.

Copyright

American English
    For reference, Laci Green is a YouTube personality with nearly 1.5 million subscribers. Here is her Wikipedia entry and below is some information if you don't want to click.

Laci Green (born October 18, 1989) is an American YouTube personality. She has hosted online sex education content on behalf of Planned Parenthood and Discovery News.

Green won a 2016 Streamy Award for Science or Education.

In May 2017 Green had a series of dialogs on Twitter, in her own videos, and in the videos of other YouTubers, with critics of identity politics, gender identity, and modern feminism. She said that some of the points made by these critics were "more valid than they’d previously seemed" and though she did not repudiate any of her past positions on these issues, the critics welcomed Green's overtures.

Her mother is an American Mormon and her father an Iranian Muslim. She is now an atheist. She is 28.

As for "vegans of color," I'm not surprised to see that it's a thing. From HuffPost:
    Here’s Why Black People Don’t Go Vegan, Updated May 20, 2017

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Her mother is an American Mormon and her father an Iranian Muslim. She is now an atheist.
    I'm not surprised!

Of color always makes me giggle, no matter what it's attached to. In fact it makes me giggle even more than little people. The only thing funnier than vegans of color would be little vegans of color (or little vegan people of color, or vegan little people of color ... or vegan people of little color ... okay, that's enough, Ewie:cool:)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In my experience 'people of color' is used in the United States to refer to all people who are not 'white'. That is, it would include people of Asian descent and American Indians. It is considered a more polite reference, though I know from previous threads that speakers of British English consider it offensive. Unfortunately, I can't find the one we have in mind, though I feel certain we have had a similar discussion before.

See: Person of color - Wikipedia

We don't have the original context, but if her commentary seemed to assume that only 'white' people are vegans, people of color who are vegans may have felt excluded. The list implies that she received a lot of complaints that may not have been reasonable, the assumption being that she was a well-intentioned person whom many people accused of being offensive.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Only yesterday I came across an example of XXXs of colour in something British. (Yes I forgot to make a note of where:rolleyes:)

< Previous | Next >