Vegetable trader - green dealer - Vegetable wholesale seller

Juyen

Vietnamese - Viet Nam
Dear all.
I'm not a native English speaker and i don't know how to say the person who buy many different kinds of vegetables from farmers and sell them to make profits.
Can you help me on this?
Thank you!

• e2efour

UK English
    In the UK we only use greengrocer, which is a small shop (if you can find such shops, which seem to be disappearing).
    Otherwise you get fruit and vegetables at a local market or a supermarket.

Last edited:

Juyen

Vietnamese - Viet Nam
    Thank you all.
    Your replies are really helpful but I don't think i got it thoroughly.
    Should i write the chains like this:
    1. Growers (farmers) --> Greengrocers (Grocery shop)
    2. Growers --> Green Wholesalers 1 --> Green Wholesalers 2 -->... --> Greengrocers.
    (Normally in my place, Wholesalers have big platforms where the greens is collected and be ready to transport, not displayed. )
    Am i on the right track?

Sincerely thanks to all of you!

Juyen

Vietnamese - Viet Nam
    What about a trader who just collects the greens and sends them to many many shops, this trader doesn't display the goods. What do you call him? :)
    Thanks a lot!

Juyen

Vietnamese - Viet Nam
    Thanks a bunch, for 'greengrocer'!
    What about a trader who just collects the greens and sends them to many many shops, this trader doesn't display the goods. What do you call him? :)

heypresto

English - England
    Am i on the right track?
    You're on the right track with #1.

And also with #2, but I suspect there would only be one wholesaler between the grower and the greengrocer, not two.

And many greengrocers will also get their produce from big fruit and vegetable markets, like Covent Garden. These are similar to wholesalers, but are a collection of many independent traders.

As e2efour pointed out, supermarkets have largely taken over from small independent greengrocers nowadays. They probably source their produce in several different ways.

(Note that we always capitalise the personal pronoun 'I'.)

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Most Americans would not immediately recognize the meaning of the term "greengrocer." Around here, a store that only sells fruits and vegetables would be called a "fruit and vegetable store", or possibly a "produce store/produce market."

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    And also with #2, but I suspect there would only be one wholesaler between the grower and the greengrocer, not two.
    Indeed, but we wouldn't refer to them as "green wholesalers". This would be understood to mean a wholesaler (of any type of product) trying to reduce their carbon footprint.
    They'd be fruit'n'veg wholesalers.
    A produce wholesaler. (accent on first syllable of produce)
    A fresh produce distribution company
    A produce distributor

Seldom would Americans say greengrocer, but as I understand it they are retailers.
    Conversely, the term "produce" to mean fruit'n'veg is not terribly popular in BE, though with the influence of American marketing methods, it's creeping in, mainly in the context of "produce departments" in supermarkets.
    I guess that would just be a mobile wholesaler, or an ordinary wholesaler who happens to offer a delivery service (in a similiar way to retail outlets (be they small shops or large supermarkets) who offer delivery services to customers' homes).

Juyen

Vietnamese - Viet Nam
    Indeed, but we wouldn't refer to them as "green wholesalers". This would be understood to mean a wholesaler (of any type of product) trying to reduce their carbon footprint.
    They'd be fruit'n'veg wholesalers.

Conversely, the term "produce" to mean fruit'n'veg is not terribly popular in BE, though with the influence of American marketing methods, it's creeping in, mainly in the context of "produce departments" in supermarkets.

I guess that would just be a mobile wholesaler, or an ordinary wholesaler who happens to offer a delivery service (in a similiar way to retail outlets (be they small shops or large supermarkets) who offer delivery services to customers' homes).
    I'm not sure i get the idea, since i don't read very well, not because of your explaination.
    In short they're fruit 'n' veg wholesaler....uhm... Do i call them properly?
    Don't you ever call them 'fruit 'n' veg TRADER'?

David

Banned
    In US Eng, the person who buys fruit and vegetables from farmers and sells them to retailers would be called a "produce dealer." "Greengrocer" is not used in the US. Generally speaking, a small retailer of fruit and vegetables might be called a "fruit store" (or "stand"), a "vegetable store" (or "stand"). Either a "fruit store" or a "vegetable store" would be assume to sell both fruit and vegetables. The British abbrevation "veg" is not used in the US, but some people refer to "veggies."

In the UK, the person buying from farmers and reselling would be called "a fruit and vegetable wholesaler" or "dealer," and a small retailer would be called a "greengrocer."

Does that clear it up?

heypresto

English - England
    A wholesaler might possibly call himself a trader, but it's not the usual term. A person or company who buys from the grower and then sells to the retailer is a wholesaler.

(See my note in #10 - we always capitalise the personal pronoun 'I'.)

Cross-posted.

london calling

UK English
    Creeping in? ;) As a Saturday girl in Sainsbury's in Lewisham (London) in 1976 I was assigned initially to the Produce Department. That was 40 years ago!

Thanks a bunch, for 'greengrocer'!
    In this part of the world (southern Italy) this would be unusual. Local farmers either sell their products directly in our local farmer's markets (of which we have many) or sell them to a wholesaler, who then sells them to local shops. Large supermarkets source quite a number of local products, but usually from large intensive farming businesses, not local farmers.

< Previous | Next >