vehicles should carry, snatch strap, jump leads, shovel

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by adolfocharlie, Aug 15, 2006.

1. adolfocharlie Member

Montevideo
    uruguay-Spanish
    Hola,
    Me encuentro frente a un trabajo en el que debo indicar todo el equipamiento que debe tener un vehiculo 4x4.

"All field vehicles should carry,e.g extra spare wheel, snatch strap, jump leads, shovel..."

I don't know the meaning of "snatch strap". As per the rest, it's ok. I think Jump leads are the cables used to start a vehicle taking energy from the battery of another vehicle, if someone can confirm that, ok.

Usually, in the forum, somebody comes with a site in which the equipment is depicted, accompanied by the statement "una imagen vale mas que mil palabras"

If you can come up with something like that, wonderful!!!

Saludos

Adoflocharlie

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    I think you are on the right track, AC. I think jump leads sound like jumper cables in the US... although "extra spare" is repetitive. You can have an extra wheel or a spare wheel (or tire), but you don't need both. ;)

Where is your text from? Automobile vocabulary tends to vary from one side of the ocean to another.

My guess is that "snatch strap" might be a rope or nylon strap for towing/pulling another car -- in AE, a tow strap, tow cable or tow rope.

Hope this helps.

Saludos.