Veicolo elettrico - a metano

Ottavio Amato

Italia
Ciao a tutti,
ho un po' di difficoltà a rendere, in Inglese, "veicolo elettrico" e "veicolo alimentato a metano".

Contesto: in un sistema di riduzione dell'inquinamento urbano vengono utilizzati due veicoli: uno elettrico e uno a metano.

...[goods] delivered to their recipients using two low environmental impact vehicles (one of them electric, the other methane-fed) .

Is that acceptable?

• curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    I suspect that translating 'metano' to 'methane' is a false friend. American friends make jokes about 'harvesting cows'. They don't realize that methane is simply the main component of 'natural gas'. The problem is that, even though 'methane' is a correct translation, only chemists (who define methane as "a colourless, odourless flammable gas which is the main constituent of natural gas. It is the simplest member of the alkane series of hydrocarbons.") seem to understand the term.

When I tried looking up synonyms of 'methane" I found: swamp gas, marsh gas, rotten egg gas, hydrogen sulfide. (no wonder Americans find it funny!)

So...when describing to Americans what fuel my car runs on, I say...'natural gas'. Any thoughts? Do English speakers in the UK or elsewhere (than North America) have any other suggestions on how to best translate 'metano'??

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    One other option is 'compressed natural gas' or more simply CNG.

Bye,
    Benzene

This is the expression used among car manufacturers when they have to refer to cars running on methane (CH4, just to be clear).

By the way: The N.A.S.A. refers to veichle running on methane in its website: check this out

(Curio, harvesting cows?? I can't get the funny side of this, can you explain me this, please?)

Benzene

Italian from Italy
    CNG and liquid methane have two different uses.
    Natural gas is a natural gas mixture, mainly composed of methane, CH4 (94.7%) + (C2H6) ethane (4.2%) and for traction engine use is compressed and not liquefied.
    Liquid methane, CH4, is liquefied and is mainly used for cryogenic applications although there was some attempt at application in endothermic engines, with poor success.
    Liquefying methane is much more expensive than compressing natural gas, so its application in traction engines is neither cheaper nor more competitive than use of CNG.
    Furthermore, handling liquid methane is very dangerous because its liquefaction temperature is -161°C in cylinders or tanks.

This is my personal opinion.
    Bye,
    Benzene

Last edited:

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Curio, harvesting cows?? I can't get the funny side of this, can you explain me this, please?)
    science-poster-showing-cow-methane-emissions-vector-26966414.jpg

curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    (Curio, harvesting cows?? I can't get the funny side of this, can you explain me this, please?)
    Pietruzzo got the general idea. I can add that I have a friend who lives in cattle country (Texas), and she says that in her area, if you speak of methane, they understand 'cow farts'. :D However I tried CNG on her, and that made more sense to her.

london calling

UK English
    So...when describing to Americans what fuel my car runs on, I say...'natural gas'. Any thoughts? Do English speakers in the UK or elsewhere (than North America) have any other suggestions on how to best translate 'metano'??
    They're known as LPG and CNG cars respectively in the UK. Liquid Petroleum Gas and Compressed Natural Gas😊. The latter is 'metano'.