Velvet gloves

< Previous | Next >

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
I’m writing a short story about a yuppie and I’d like to use the expression velvet gloves, but considering that apart from treating someone with gentleness and caution it can often also involve concealing strength or determination -like in the phrase an iron fist or hand in a velvet glove–, something completely out of the question in this case, I wondered if I could include it. The sentence is: “The meetings were headed by John Marion himself. Andrew Scott, apart from being special and eccentric, was a man with lots of character and a very bad temper. So, everyone had to treat him with velvet gloves. The office could not afford to lose such an exclusive, profitable costumer” Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

• Scott AM

English - Canada
    You might already be aware of this, but the idiomatic expression is "to handle with kid gloves". Then again, the phrase is somewhat of a cliche, and many people don't even know what "kid gloves" are, outside of the phrase. They are leather gloves made from the skin of a young goat (a "kid"), and are rather delicate.

< Previous | Next >