vendeuse de chaussures

< Previous | Next >

Anticlée

French
Hello
I've got an incredibly difficult question to ask today: how do we say "vendeuse de chaussures" in English?
Shop assistant in a shoes shop? Is there something shorter?
Thanks in advance ;-)

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Context would help. If it's a job description, sales assistant (footwear).
    If it's the answer to
    - "What does she do (for a living)?
    - "She sells shoes / she works in a shoe shop/department."

Anticlée

French
    thank you for the precision. in fact I was just looking at pictures of jobs and I had a picture of a sales assistant. I realised I wasn't able to describe that job more precisely than "sales assistant".
    In fact can "saleswoman" be used for clothes --> clothes saleswoman?

broglet

English - England
    en anglais britannique 'saleswoman' ne sonne pas très bien ...nous dirions par préférence 'shop assistant'

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    And in AE "shop assistant" is foreign-sounding. In the current climate, the genderless "salesperson" might even be used. Vive la différence.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    en anglais britannique 'saleswoman' ne sonne pas très bien ...nous dirions par préférence 'shop assistant'
    Saleswoman is also strange-sounding in AE. Sales assistant or clerk is what I would say. The gender and product have to come through in another way.

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    "Shoe salesman" certainly sounds normal in AE (see "Death of a Salesman"), and I agree that "saleswoman" and "salesperson" are beginning to get cumbersome. "She is a clerk in shoe store" would work. In my neck of the woods "shop assistant" would be found, say, in a machine shop, lowish in the hierarchy.

< Previous | Next >