vengeance and revenge

< Previous | Next >

lapachis8

Mexico-Spanish
Hi,
I have looked in some dictionaries and still cannot grasp the difference between vengeance and revenge.
I would apreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

• armour65

United States English
    Webster's dictionary reports "vengeance" as a direct synonym with "revenge", as well as with other words including "payback" and "retalliation".

Honestly, I don't think I can see a difference between the two myself, either. Did somebody tell you there is a difference?

heypresto

English - England
    Helped by Chambers Dictionary . . .

Revenge, as a noun, is the act of taking vengeance.

Vengeance, a noun, is the act of taking revenge. (here 'revenge' is also a noun)

So, yes, as nouns they are pretty well synoymous.

But, revenge, as a verb, can mean 'to take vengeance'.

Hope that helps and has not just added to your understandable confusion! :)

eni8ma

English - Australia
    The words vengeance and revenge are generally synonymous, but can be used differently in some respects.

"with a vengeance" suggests intensity.

e.g. the flies are back with a vengeance.

The flies are not taking revenge on anyone; "with a vengeance" here means "worse than before".

EdisonBhola

Korean
    The words vengeance and revenge are generally synonymous, but can be used differently in some respects.

"with a vengeance" suggests intensity.

e.g. the flies are back with a vengeance.

The flies are not taking revenge on anyone; "with a vengeance" here means "worse than before".

Other than being an intensifier, does "with a vengeance" always carry a negative meaning? I mean, for example, flare jeans are outdated now. But if they suddenly become fashionable again, can I say "Flare jeans have come back with a vengeance", and does it carry any negative (or even positive) meaning?

< Previous | Next >