Venice reminded her of Holland's

< Previous | Next >

kahroba

Persian
Dear guys
Could someone please explain "Venice reminded her of Holland's" in the following text, taken from "The Big Money", "USA", by John Dos Passos:
Please note Agnes [or Margo] have never been out of States.

They saw signs pointing to Hollywood,... and drew up in front of a small rentingoffice in Santa Monica. ...They ended up in a dusty stucco bungallow court in the outskirts of Venice where the man seemed impressed by the blue Buick ... and let them take a place with only a week paid in advance. Margo thought it was horrid but Agnes was in the highest spirits. She said Venice reminded her of Holland's in the old days. "That's what gives me the sick," said Margo.

Unquote

Now, I know there's a town called Venice in the States, but what has to do with Holland's?

• The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Dear guys
    Could someone please explain "Venice reminded her of Holland's" in the following text, taken from "The Big Money", "USA", by John Dos Passos:
    Please note Agnes [or Margo] have never been out of States.

They saw signs pointing to Hollywood,... and drew up in front of a small rentingoffice in Santa Monica. ...They ended up in a dusty stucco bungallow court in the outskirts of Venice where the man seemed impressed by the blue Buick ... and let them take a place with only a week paid in advance. Margo thought it was horrid but Agnes was in the highest spirits. She said Venice reminded her of Holland's in the old days. "That's what gives me the sick," said Margo.

Unquote

Now, I know there's a town called Venice in the States, but what has to do with Holland's?
    Since "Holland's" is written in the possessive form I can only presume it was some sort of establishment where Margo and Agnes had stayed. Probably a run-down boarding house called Holland.

(Interesting that both Venice and Holland are known for their canals - pure coincidence I imagine.)

kahroba

Persian
    Agnes's husband had been an actor and used to work with the famous theater group called Keith Circuit around 1910s.
    At the same time, I remember something about Holland's House.
    Could there be any link between these?

The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Agnes's husband had been an actor and used to work with the famous theater group called Keith Circuit around 1910s.
    At the same time, I remember something about Holland's House.
    Could there be any link between these?
    Indeed there could. Actors always have to find board and lodgings close to the theatre where they are performing. Many English actors, when interviewed about their careers, have told stories about the places where they stayed - mostly very lowly, even scruffy, places where the food was barely edible. I think Holland's House was one such place, albeit fictitious.

< Previous | Next >