venne mutuata nella moderna accezione mensile

candel

english Irish.
Hi

I am a little uncertain here as to the meaning of the phrase. could someone offer their take? Grazie.

It is about the meaning of the term blue moon.

Questa definizione venne mutuata nella moderna accezione mensile nel 1946, quando in un articolo un astronomo dilettante, chiamato James Hugh Pruett, male interpretò la definizione del Maine Farmer's Almanac, credendo si riferisse appunto alla seconda Luna piena in un medesimo mese. Da allora questo è diventato il significato della definizione Luna blu.

http://it.notizie.yahoo.com/blog/wired/il-31-agosto-sarà-notte-di-luna-blu-111732745.html

This definition was transformed into the modern monthly meaning....

mutuare is often a term regarding mortgages etc...so borrowed might often be used but did not seem wholly correct here maybe.

I agree with Gavin on the omission of "mensile" it seemed a bit superfluous and forced.

Last edited:
  • longplay

Banned
    italian
    "L' espressione deriva dal fatto che nel 1946, in un suo articolo, l' astronomo dilettante JHP interpretò male la definizione..."
    Never heard ! "Blue Moon" is a song, if I'm correct ! PS Wiki says the "phrase does exist!" (great surprise !).

Last edited:

GavinW

British English
    mutuare is often a term regarding mortgages etc...so borrowed might often be used but did not seem wholly correct here maybe.
    You're right on the money here: "mutuare" is often used when words are "borrowed" from one sphere and used in another. But you're right to point out that it's hard to use the term "borrow" here as a translation. The sense is the same as that also contained in the expression "loan word" in English. To convey the slightly extended meaning (which a native speaker may quibble with here, even, in this context; but I'm guessing about that), one might say:

"This definition was adopted in/with the modern meaning (of the term) in 1946..."

I think "mensile" is used incorrectly, or at least very misleadingly, so I decided to omit it! Generally, I have a nagging feeling that the first sentence is written in a slightly sloppy way, without regard to the precise meaning of words, but only a native speaker can confirm that.

longplay

Banned
    italian
    Il testo italiano è un po' pasticciato. "accezione mensile" sta per 'riferita ai mesi'. Cioè "questa espressione, riferita ai 'mesi', deriva da...". Penso che 'borrowed'
    possa trarre in inganno: probabilmente fu ripresa direttamente dall' articolo pubblicato da HJP nel 1946.

< Previous | Next >