verb for having mindless fun

cointi

Polish
Hi,

Sometimes you just want to relax by watching some slap stick comedy or muscle-laden action flick, which wouldn't require too much thinking. Is there a verb to describe it? Would I be understood if I said that?

I just need to debrain myself after a day of hard work. Let's watch some action movie.

Last edited:
  • ewie

English English
    Hull Giesiek. I'm sure most people would understand you, yes ... but I can't imagine many would actually say that. I personally might say I just need to switch my brain off ... ~ as if it was an electrical appliance. Your idea sounds a bit do-it-yourself-surgery:D

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It's informal, almost slang, but you can say "I just need to veg out after a day of hard work" (derived from the verb to vegetate). :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    There is a transitive verb, "brain":

vb (transitive)
    1. to smash the skull of
    2. slang to hit hard on the head
    (WR Dictionary)
    "I brained myself" = I hit my head hard (accidentally). "I 'debrained' myself" = "I cured myself of the effects of a terrible knock on the head":D but the gruesome image that ewie mentioned sprang to my mind first.

ewie

English English
    It's informal, almost slang, but you can say "I just need to veg out after a day of hard work" (derived from the verb to vegetate). :)
    :):thumbsup: That was actually my first thought, DB, but I thought I'd go for something closer to the original.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Unwind" is a common verb to use in this situation, but I agree with ewie that "switch my brain off" is a good approximation to Giesiek's own suggestion.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Surprisingly, no-one's mentioned "chill (out)"yet. And a certain politician used to like the portmanteau word (chill and relax) "chillax". I've never heard anyone else use it though.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Well, the thing about unwind, chill out and decompress is (as far as I'm concerned) that they basically just mean 'relax': they don't mean 'relax in a vegetative way'.

cointi

Polish
    Are you fishing for compliments, because yes, you did a really good job, I'm going with your suggestion :)

< Previous | Next >