Verb group for medaber (talk) - Piel or Paal?

htims

English
Which verb group does the verb medaber (talk) belong too?
Is this the same verb as "to speak"?

Thanks

• Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    מדבר is Pi'el. The past form is דיבר (with nikkud: דִּבֵּר).
    But sometimes it is written with a seghol instead of a tserey, right? In fact, in classical Hebrew it's always דִּבֶּר. I have no idea why.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    But sometimes it is written with a seghol instead of a tserey, right? In fact, in classical Hebrew it's always דִּבֶּר. I have no idea why.
    It is certainly not true that in classical Hebrew it always has a segol. Tsere is the norm. The segol results only as a shortening of the vowel when it is connected to the next word with a makaf. Without a makaf, it is always tsere (and occasionally patach).

radagasty

Australia, Cantonese
    It is certainly not true that in classical Hebrew it always has a segol. Tsere is the norm. The segol results only as a shortening of the vowel when it is connected to the next word with a makaf. Without a makaf, it is always tsere (and occasionally patach).
    In Classical Hebrew, דִּבֶּר always appears with a seghol as the norm, even when not tied to the following word with a maqqef, except in pause, when the tsere returns. Examples abound, but Num 12:2 will suffice:

וַיֹּאמְרוּ הֲרַק אַךְ־בְּמֹשֶׁה דִּבֶּר יְהוָ֔ה הֲלֹא גַּם־בָּנוּ דִבֵּר וַיִּשְׁמַע יְהוָה׃

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    Oh looks like you're right. I guess this is just an idiosyncrasy of this particular word that I somehow never paid enough attention to notice.

Anyway, I guess what happened was the makaf form became generalized to all non-pausal usages.

Abaye

Hebrew
    Some roots tend to get this segol. Among them דבר, כפר, כבס. For example:

וְכִפֶּר עָלָיו הַכֹּהֵן לִפְנֵי יְהוָה וְנִסְלַח לוֹ עַל אַחַת מִכֹּל אֲשֶׁר יַעֲשֶׂה לְאַשְׁמָה בָהּ (ויקרא ה' כ"ו)
    וְרָאָה הַכֹּהֵן אֹתוֹ בַּיּוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי שֵׁנִית וְהִנֵּה כֵּהָה הַנֶּגַע וְלֹא פָשָׂה הַנֶּגַע בָּעוֹר וְטִהֲרוֹ הַכֹּהֵן מִסְפַּחַת הִיא וְכִבֶּס בְּגָדָיו וְטָהֵר (ויקרא י"ג ו')