verb + soundtrack

< Previous | Next >

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
Português/ Brasil
Hello everybody,

I'd like to know which is the verb that has the same meaning of soundtrack (noun), I mean, if I needed a verb with that meaning what would it be?

soundtrack A noun
1 soundtrack

sound recording on a narrow strip of a motion picture film
soundtrack - noun
xxxxxx - verb

• Loob

English UK
    I can't think of one, Vanda - other than "record", I suppose.

Is there any way you could give us a sample sentence? (I assume this is dictionary work again....)

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Yes!!! Thank you, Loob, always so attentive! So I should put a definition, right?
    Can it be like this:
    act, process or result of making sonorous

But I'd love so much to have a single word for the process ....

Loob

English UK
    Does there have to be a verb entry for "soundtrack", Vanda - wouldn't it be possible to leave it just as a noun?

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Yes. I need both, but I have the verb ( render sonorous, produce sounds) but for a noun which could it be? I just can picture the definition above for the noun. If you had to write a single noun for this description: act, process or result of making sonorous, would there be a word for that?

ewie

English English
    Sorry Vandinha, I don't understand the question ~ what does act, process or result of making sonorous have to do with soundtrack (either noun or verb)?:confused::confused::confused:

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    errr.. I've made a mess, right? The soundtrack came from this thread, then I was looking for the verb and the generic noun for this definition: act, process or result of making sonorous. In my head, English should have a single word for that act, processs (...) that would be ....?
    So:
    act, process or result of making sonorous= (single word)
    render sonorous/ produce sounds = verb

Loob

English UK
    So you're looking for a verb (and hopefully a related noun) which means "render sonorous" or "produce sounds"....

Now we have a different problem - or rather different problems:D:
    - "render sonorous" doesn't mean "produce sounds"
    - there are probably dozens of verbs meaning "produce sounds" ranging from "babble" to "scream".

Are you looking for something to do with recording sounds, or was soundtrack a red herring?

:)

Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    You've got it, Loob. After finding that thread (link above) with the soundtrack-red-herring, :) I got totally confused and shoved inside my brain the noun should include the ''soundtrack'' term. :eek:

And yes I am looking for the noun that has to do with recording sounds.

Loob

English UK
    Aha! Then maybe it's as straightforward as -

verb: to record sounds
    noun: [a] sound recording

{Note: "sound(s)" can be omitted if it's clear that what's being recorded is well, sound(s)....;)}

Would that work, do you think?

< Previous | Next >