verb tense consistency

dangareyes

Hindi
Sentence: On the phone teacher said that she had cleaned the desk and she will not tell anyone, you can send your daughter to school with new lunchbox.

According to verb tense consistency rules we should not shift tense. but in above sentence first verb is in past tense but later shifted to present tense. Is the above sentence grammatically correct or the rest of the sentence also must be past ?

• london calling

UK English
    Do you mean: Over the phone the teacher said she had cleaned the desk and that she would not tell anyone (about what, exactly? Is it something to do with the luncbox?) and that you could therefore send your daughter to school with a new lunchbox (?).

owlman5

English-US
    On the phone teacher said that she had cleaned the desk and she will not tell anyone, you can send your daughter to school with new lunchbox.
    If I understand your question correctly, I think you need to shift the other verbs into the past for reported speech: On the phone, the teacher said that she had cleaned the desk and that she would not tell anyone. She also said that you could send your daughter to school with a new lunchbox.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand the context of your sentence. To whom did the teacher say this (who is "you")? Who cleaned a desk, the teacher or the daughter? Whose desk was it, and why did a child or teacher need to clean the furniture? What is it that the teacher wouldn't tell anyone? Why must the daughter bring a new lunchbox to school? Please explain the situation.

< Previous | Next >