Verb Tense for parallel actions

< Previous | Next >

FlowLife

Russian
Hello! Please help me with this question, I practice usage of the Present tenses to tell stories and anecdotes.

1)A man is sitting in the bar and he's drinking cold beer while smoking a cigarette, when he sees a beautiful girl come in the bar and he decides to offer her a drink.
2)A man is sitting in the bar and he's drinking cold beer while smoking a cigarette, when he sees a beautiful girl is coming in the bar and he decides to offer her a drink.
3)A man is sitting in the bar and he's drinking cold beer while smoking a cigarette, when he sees a beautiful girl comes in the bar and he decides to offer her a drink.

Which verb tense to use for parallel actions?

Last edited:
  • FlowLife

Russian
    She was outside and while the man is doing his things, she come(s) in.
    I'm asking this because I've been told that the 1st sentence is correct, but i don't understand why she walk or she come in.
    P.S - for me as a russian speaker, walk in(to) - is perfectly ok, but seems this time direct translation doesn't work.

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    Walk in (I prefer walk into) here means to come into/to enter.

The pattern in English is to see someone <bare infinitive> or to see someone <-ing form>.
    So if we are talking about someone who crosses the road, we can say either
    a) I saw her cross the road OR
    b) I saw her crossing the road.

By bare infinitive I mean the infinitive without to (as in sentence a) above).

Does this help?

FlowLife

Russian
    Thanks! But I don't understand it thoroughly, because I speak about the present simple, but your examples in the simple past.
    And the grammar rule says: In present simple for he,she, it we add -s at the end of a verb.

e2efour

UK English
    In my example I could use the present simple -- it makes no difference to what follows.
    For example, A man is standing outside a bank. He sees a beautiful girl crossing the road. (Subject - verb - object - -ing form)
    The word that is underlined is not in the present simple, only He sees.

< Previous | Next >