verb + the hell/heck or shit/fuck/crap + out + of

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
verb + the hell/heck or shit/fuck/crap + out + of

I've just looked around in the forum using the search functions. Could you insert this emphatic expression in ANY combination of 'verb + its object' in colloquial utterance to someone you are friendly with, and it would be still grammatical (but perhaps it becomes vulgar)? To me it seems the verb is to do with physical violence (or just physical action) or verbal criticism or anything in the majority of the examples. But then I know you'd say 'I enjoyed the heck out of it.'

(Excuse my French)
[1] The police caught the hell out of the suspect.
[2] He opened the heck out of the duralumin box.
[3] We hurriedly ran the shit out of the new program on the computer.
[4] Bob had fuck out of gorgeous breakfast.
[5] I saw shit out of him running away from the house.

The verbs may be limited to action verbs ....

• DocPenfro

English - British
    It is a well known fact that real men are incapable of articulating a complete sentence without garnishing it liberally with obscenities and profanities (at least, in the English-speaking world; I assume that Japanese real men are much more civil and restrained). However, I would not recommend that you try to inject many of these into your everyday conversation. Non-native speakers are ill-advised to imitate colloquial usage unless they are 100% confident that it is appropriate for the situation. Your example offerings are colourful and inventive, but not idiomatic, and unfortunately several of them would be comically incomprehensible if you tried them out in real life. I have amended some of them to make them a bit more usable; that is not to say that I would recommend them under any circumstances.

[1] The police caught the hell kicked the crap out of the suspect. (not in the UK, naturally)
    [2] He opened the heck out of the duralumin box. ???
    [3] We hurriedly ran the shit out bollocks off the new program on the computer.
    [4] Bob had run the fuck out of gorgeous breakfast. ??
    [5] I saw shit out of him running away from the house. ???

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Could you insert this emphatic expression in ANY combination of 'verb + its object' in colloquial utterance
    No, you can't and if you get it wrong, you will sound like an idiot ...
    'I enjoyed the heck out of it.'
    Quite apart from seeing "heck" as a mealy-mouthed, minced oath used only by people who who live in a world written by the producers of 'wholesome' black and white films from the 1950s, I would find it difficult to use "enjoy" with the above construction.

(Excuse my French)
    [1] The police caught the hell out of the suspect.
    [2] He opened the heck out of the duralumin box.
    [3] We hurriedly ran the shit out of the new program on the computer.
    [4] Bob had fuck out of gorgeous breakfast.
    [5] I saw shit out of him running away from the house.

The verbs may be limited to action verbs ....
    Although you have a good collection of these constructions, none of the above work.

(i)"the xxxx out of" can only be used with verbs of extreme action and
    (ii) the object of the verb must be capable of being broken or pressed/stressed/strained to the maximum level or maximum criminal level.
    (iii) the meaning approximates to "to a dangerous level" or "to potential destruction" or "to destruction"

You will see that "to catch/to open/to have/to see" are not at all extreme and simply do not work.

"He pressed on the gas and revved the fuck/shit/hell out of the engine" = He applied the accelerator and caused the speed of the engine to reach a potentially dangerous maximum.

[1] The police beat the hell out of the suspect. = The police beat the suspect so hard that he sustained such severe injuries that he could have died (maybe he did.)

Last edited:

Agousier

English - Canada
    It is a well known fact that real men are incapable of articulating a complete sentence without garnishing it liberally with obscenities and profanities (at least, in the English-speaking world; I assume that Japanese real men are much more civil and restrained).
    I hear plenty of women use obscenities and profanities this way; in fact, the last use of this particular turn of phrase I heard was a few days ago in a Starbucks, when a young woman told her friends she was going to "drink the fuck out of a Frappucino". And after seeing what's offered in a Japanese comic book store, I don't know that I'll ever again assume that all Japanese "real men" are civil or restrained.
    Anyway, I do agree with the rest of your post; this expression should not be used until you have a very, very good grasp on the language. There's no hard or fast rule, it's just something that either sounds normal or sounds strange. None of the examples in the OP make sense. Not that this form of expression makes much sense to begin with, but it would not be used like in those examples. Something like,
    "[4] Bob had fuck out of gorgeous breakfast."
    is completely non-sensical. Gorgeous seems very out of place, "had the fuck out of" is not often used, and breakfast isn't generally something one approches energetically. Maybe something like:

"I'm starving! Let's go to a Mexican place, I'm going to eat the hell out of some tacos"

Might be heard. "Eat the shit out of" conjures some unpleasant images by having the words 'eat' and 'shit' so close together, and is used less often; "eat the fuck out of" could be used but but since "eat out" has it's own sexual connotation, it might invite some rude jokes.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Anyway, I do agree with the rest of your post; this expression should not be used until you have a very, very good grasp on the language. There's no hard or fast rule, it's just something that either sounds normal or sounds strange. None of the examples in the OP make sense. Not that this form of expression makes much sense to begin with, but it would not be used like in those examples. ...
    Thanks, all, for your help in me taking a further look-see into the phrases. I wanted to know if there was any fast rule that governed the expressions, and so if I remembered it, I could produce any number of sentences with them, liberally that is (Not that I would use them, but I just 'could'). As an adult interacting with people from different walks of life, I don't use the profanities or obscenities. Yes, as a college student in the U.S. some twenty-five years ago, I confess I used the words a lot of times, only in ways I deemed natural and idiomatic, and inoffensive. Here I was actually taking chances. I was curious to know if there was any rule(s). Not that I will use the phrases. But I just wanted to know if there was one or two so that I would 'understand' what is said in films etc more clearly.

(i)"the xxxx out of" can only be used with verbs of extreme action and
    (ii) the object of the verb must be capable of being broken or pressed/stressed/strained to the maximum level or maximum criminal level.
    (iii) the meaning approximates to "to a dangerous level" or "to potential destruction" or "to destruction"
    How about 'verbs of criticism or denunciation' if the outcome of the action is so mentally destructive?

Thanks again for your assistance in this ... as always.:)

stevenst

Cantonese
    Hi everyone,

Today I saw someone comment on a video on Youtube and he/she said " marry the shit out of your girlfriend". I am confused and do not understand what it really means.. Could anyone help me out this question?

Thanks

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is part of the jargon or slang / argot of a group of young males referred to in BE as "urban youth".

It is meaninglessly emphatic.

compare

"You are an idiot" with "You are a fucking idiot." - "fucking" is merely emphatic.

< Previous | Next >