Verb with "quota”

< Previous | Next >

prudent260

Chinese
I am going to explain a situation in English.

The treatment for chronic hepatitis C (HCV) is expensive and burdens governments and insurance systems.
So the national health insurance policy in my country sets a quota on HCV treatment.

The quota was reached shortly before, so if my patient wants to receive the treatment, she needs to wait for the quota to (refresh/open/recount) next year.

Could you please tell me which verb is better? Thank you very much.

• "Open' is best of the choices you give. But the sentence is awkward. A quota is just a number, say, 500 HCV treatments are allowed in country X is a given year. Each year the quota is filled. Spaces for treatment open up in the next year. They are gradually filled till the quota/maximum is reached. In that sense, your word 'refresh' is close; I'd say, a new quota is set; [or] the quota is re-set annually.

Last edited:

prudent260

Chinese
    Then I think I will say, "she will need to wait until a new quota is set next year," or "she will need to wait for the quota to re-set next year."

Thank you for your help, benny.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The original sentence is probably not capable of being saved. I would say "She will have to [wait to] be included in next year's quota."

prudent260

Chinese
    Could I say, "the quota for HCV treatment will be reopened on Jan 1. So she will have to wait to be included in next year's quota?"

Thank you,Paul.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. Quotas do not open.

"The waiting list for treatment of/testing for HCV (I have no idea what that is - choose the appropriate noun) will be reopened on Jan 1. So she will have to wait to be included in next year's quota."

prudent260

Chinese
    Thank you, Paul. There is no waiting list.
    The policy just says how many people can be treated in a year. Once the number of HCV patients receiving treatment is reached, then other HCV patients will have to wait until Jan 1st next year.

So, if I want to include the date on which the counting starts, does the sentence below sound natural?

It is a little off-topic, but still quota related. Do I need to post another thread?

The national health insurance policy sets a quota for HCV treatment every year. "The counting starts from Jan 1st until the quota is filled." The quota this year was reached shortly before, so if she wants to receive HCV treatment, she will have to wait to be included in next year's quota.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It is a little off-topic, but still quota related.
    ... "The counting starts from Jan 1st until the quota is filled." The quota this year was reached shortly before, so ...
    It's not too bad, but the part with "the counting" sounds a little strange. It doesn't really say what is counted.
    The bigger problem for me is "shortly before". Before what?

prudent260

Chinese
    So wouldn't audience refer 'the counting' to the set quota?

On the website below, there is a sentence as follows:
    https://www.h1btech.com/dates-for-filing-h1b-petitions-for-2018-declared/
    The date for accepting petitions for H1B visas under the quota will start from April 1, 2017.

I imitate the construction of the sentence and rewrite what I want to say as follows:
    HCV treatment applications under the quota start from Jan 1 every year.

Does it sound natural?

Thank you, every one, for your help.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    You missed an important part of the visa example, "the date": "The data for accepting HCV treatment applications under the quota..."

Also, you should not omit "will" in "will start." Or you could write "starts from Jan. 1 every year."

You could say: The acceptance period for HCV treat application begin/starts/opens on Jan. 1 of each year."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >