Verbleib bei dem Verstorbenen

Golazo

english
This appears on a German death certificate.

It's the heading of page 2 of the certificate in the top left hand corner and starts: "Blatt 2: Verbleib bei dem Verstorbenen"

I'm not sure what "Verbleib" means here.

• elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "Remaining with the deceased"

I guess the page of the document is meant.
    I don’t know what your translation is intended to mean, and I don’t see how it could refer to the page. Could you elaborate?

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Thank you!

That would be

This page to be left with the deceased body

I wouldn’t use “remain,” since the page did not originate with the body. Most importantly, you need the infinitive here, not the -ing form.

bearded

This page to be left with the deceased body
    That sounds perfect in English. However, ''to be left'' is a sort of instruction/command ,isn't it, whereas the German ''Verbleib'' appears to be more neutral (which explains Frank's ''remaining'' in a way).
    I wonder if the formulation ''this page will be left /will stay...'' would be acceptable in English.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank78

German
    That sounds perfect in English. However, ''to be left'' is a sort of instruction/command ,isn't it, whereas the German ''Verbleib'' appears to be more neuter (which explains Frank's ''remaining'' in a way).
    I wonder if the formulation ''this page will be left /will stay...'' would be acceptable in English.

I just chose "remain" because the death certificate gets filled out somewhere "near" the deceased person.

The whole phrase is quite the "Beamtendeutsch", there's also "zum Verbleib in ihren Unterlagen" = for your records/retention