verbos "normales" vs verbos frasales

< Previous | Next >

Fabian

Banned
xxxxx
Hi! please help me with the next doubt: I'm learning about PHRASAL VERBS and I'd like to know what's the difference with "NORMAL" VERBS eg.

TO ESCAPE
TO GET AWAY

When should I use them? in formal/informal letters, chats, etc.?

THANK YOU!

• tonuco

Español (de España)
    Yo creo --y lo digo en tono de broma--que los verbos frasales únicamente existen para hacernos la vida imposible a los estudiantes hispanos de inglés

Saludos
    Alex

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Hi.

The word "phrasal" denotes "expression". Phrasal verbs are those that do not come alone, but must be followed by a little word that completes the meaning of the verb--a preposition. So, in a sense, the verb is not a word, but an expression.

For example, "to escape" is a normal verb; only one word. The "to" does not count; it just marks the infinitive.

"To get away" is a phrasal verb. The verb itself is "to get", but to complete its meaning you need to add the preposition "away".

The point of phrasal verbs is that that little word at the end changes the meaning of the verb. "To get up" is different from "to get", "to run away" is different from "to run", etc. Many verbs in English are phrasal, and they usually have no simple correspondence to Spanish verbs; this is why they're an important topic.

I hope this is helpful to you.

aprendista

USA, ingles y español
    They mean the same thing. However, words such as "escape" derived from Latin (through French) are more formal. A prisoner got away when guards were goofing off, but the newspaper title could be something like "Prisoner escaped due to guard negligence".

This general rule (Germanic or Anglo-Saxon words more informal, French/Latin counterparts more formal) also applies to other parts of speach. I might find something hard, but when I write a paper I would use "difficult".

jacinta

USA English
    In formal writing, phrasal verbs should be avoided. The rule of thumb is that if there is a single word to express an idea, use it. Formal writing likes clear, concise language.

Informal, conversational English is full of phrasal verbs.

garryknight

UK, English
    cristóbal said:
    the trick to good formal english writing: less words, more syllables. :D
    The trick to good, formal English grammar: fewer words. ;)

[For those that don't know or aren't sure, 'fewer' is used with countables and 'less' with non-countables. So, you can have fewer words, people, beans, loudhailers and foot baths, but you have less flour, sunshine, distance, oxygen and amazement.]

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hi All;
    I guess the only thing I can say about 'Formal English' :eek: writing..is to be ...two things...Percise and Concise...
    Stay away from slang...flowery words...yadda,yadda...

te gato;)

< Previous | Next >