Verbs like recommend

< Previous | Next >

Natigai

Turkish
I recommend you to take a copy of your password.
I recommend taking a copy of your password.
I recommend that you take a copy of your password.

Are all of these sentences grammarly correct? I'm almost sure the first two are, but I'm not sure about the third. And also I'd like to know whether the same rules apply on verbs like reccomend as advise, forbid, allow etc.

Waiting for your help, thanks.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    The first one is not correct. The object of recommend is the thing that is being recommended. "You" is not the thing being recommended.
    Who do you recommend for the job?
    I recommend you. You are the person that I recommend for the job.

The second and third are grammatically correct though I'm not sure what you mean by "take a copy of your password". Carry a copy with you on your trip?

sdgraham

USA English
    I reccomend you to take a copy of your password.
    I reccomend taking a copy of your password.
    I reccomend that you take a copy of your password.

Are all of these sentences grammarly correct? I'm almost sure the first two are, but I'm not sure about the third. And also I'd like to know whether the same rules apply on verbs like reccomend as advise, forbid, allow etc.

Waiting for your help, thanks.
    The first one is not correct. The object of recommend is the thing that is being recommended. "You" is not the thing being recommended.
    Who do you recommend for the job?
    I recommend you. You are the person that I recommend for the job.

The second and third are grammatically correct though I'm not sure what you mean by "take a copy of your password". Carry a copy with you on your trip?
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Natigai

Turkish
    Is this a new rule or something? In our grammar books(in Turkey, so we may not catch up :D) it says "we use either a gerund, or a pronoun + to infinitive". And also, could you please clarify the thing about other verbs?

Thank you so much.

cointi

Polish
    Actually, the first sentence is correct, if Oxford Learner's Dictionary is to be believed. But many people deem such a construction incorrect so I don't recommend ;) using it.

proof

Natigai

Turkish
    Noted, but still going to pretend like it's correct. Our ministry of education accepts it obviously. :p

sdgraham

USA English
    Last edited:

cointi

Polish
    Hey, as awkward as the construction sounds, it has been recorded in COCA which means even (some) Americans use it.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Well, you have got the guys from Oxford Dictionaries on your side as well.
    The 'full' Oxford Dictionaries has an entry for recommend -1.2 [with object and infinitive] Advise (someone) to do something. ‘You are strongly recommended to seek professional advice’.

In fact almost all their 'More example sentences' show that construction used in the passive voice, and I would actually say that the OP's "I recommend you to take a copy of your password" works for me as "You are recommended to take a copy of your password." :)

cointi

Polish
    Note: Poland has done a magnificent job of teaching English, but this is not the first time we've noted that Polish officialdom has been at odds with the real Anglo-phonic world on this site. ;)
    While I would never use the phrase myself, saying that it is incorrect is a falsehood. It has been 145 days now, we do not need more Americans uttering more falsehoods. ;)

kentix

English - U.S.
    Recommend .... One c, two m' s

Based on what Donny said:

Passive use :thumbsup: Otherwise :thumbsdown:

< Previous | Next >