veritable

< Previous | Next >

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
Hi everybody!

What's the meaning of the word "veritable" as an adjective? I searched for it on the dictionaries, but they are ambiguous. Could you please describe it a bit more? Using examples will be helpful indeed.

veritable :
a word used to emphasize that somebody/something can be compared to somebody/something else that is more exciting, more impressive, etc.

The meal that followed was a veritable banquet.

As an aside, does this word have any parts of speech?

Thank you in advance.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Our dictionary is a veritable treasure-trove of information.
    See veritable

veritable /ˈvɛrɪtəbəl/ adj (prenominal)

• (intensifier; usually qualifying a word used metaphorically): he's a veritable swine!

As an aside, does this word have any parts of speech?

I'm not sure what this question is asking. It's a veritable [3] puzzle.

"Veritable" implies exemplary, outstanding, [3] genuine---but as Cagey noted, the negative aspect of any of these words could equally be implied.

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    Thank you Cagey, but I checked it before starting the thread. Maybe the meaning which it conveys is obvious, but I cannot understand it completely. Some dictionaries say that it has the same meaning as real and genuine, doesn't it?
    Source:http://www.thefreedictionary.com/veritable
    Can we replace"veritable" in the following sentence with "real"?
    They will present a veritable festival of art, craft and music from over forty local artists, craftspeople and musicians.
    Source: http://www.artwavefestival.org/artists.asp?Town=&Artists=&ArtTypes=&pgStartId=69&thisPgNum=14

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    Thank you for all replies. By the way, I was asking whether this word has any other parts of speech such as noun, adverb, etc. It seems that the answer is "No". Can you use "veritable" in an example which conveys a negative meaning?

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    See post #2, for negative example, omid. :)

M-W unabridged, lists veritably and veritableness. These, however would almost always relate to the meaning of 'true' 'genuine' or 'authentic.'
    Sorry for not noticing well to the post #2!:p
    You helped me a lot with your suggestions. Thank you again.
    Tank you others as well for their comments.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Hi,
    How does veritable compare with any of the words suggested above in common usage?
    Is it a rare word that slips into conversation once in a while?

I don't think 'veritable' is a rare word, though it's not commonly used every day. It occurs, as a compliment, in stock phrases, such as "He's a veritable genius among pianists." It's somewhat literary, i.e. university- educated talk.

The example above is not uncommon: They will present a veritable festival of art, craft and music from over forty local artists, craftspeople and musicians.

< Previous | Next >