Very little remained of the beach resort

< Previous | Next >

bamboo--tw

ROC/Mandarin
Very little remained of the beach resort after it was hit by the tsunami.

Hi,

Does the part in bold make sense? If yes, what does it mean? Thanks.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, it makes sense. The sentence is saying that most of the beach resort was destroyed by the tsunami.

cfu507

Hebrew
    How about:
    Very little of the beach resort has left after it was hit by the tsunami.
    Does it correct too?

cfu507

Hebrew
    Not quite, cfu. It should be Very little of the beach resort was left after it was hit by the tsunami.
    Hi GreenWhiteBlue,
    Is there any explanation why my sentence is worng.

You say: that's all he has left.

What is the difference between that's all he has left and bamboo--tw's sentence?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Yes, there is an explanation. The explanation is that to be left, and to have something left, simply do not mean the same thing. To be left is the passive form of to leave, while to have something left is "to have" + an object + the adjective "left".

Imagine there has been an earthquake. John's house is destroyed, while Tom's house is undamaged.

We can say that Tom's house was left standing by the earthquake, or The earthquake left Tom's house standing.

We can also say Tom lost little, he still has his house left, but Johnlost everything and has nothing left.

Little was left by the tsunami is merely the passive form of The tsunami left little; the verb here is "to leave" and not "to have", and "left" functions as a participle, and not as a predicate adjective.

se16teddy

English - England
    Yes, the subject of the verb leave / left is the person or other agency that causes the change; the object of the verb leave / left is the thing that remains after the change.
    I left my bag in the shop - My bag was left in the shop.
    The tsunami left very little of the town - Very little was left of the town.

< Previous | Next >