very rich and copious amount of aesthetic perception

• JamesM

Please give some context, as the forum guidelines state.

The full sentence would help, and giving us the sentence before and after the one in question would be even better.

castanheira

english, portuguese
    "Knowing about art, unless accompanied by a very rich and copious amount of aesthetic perception, may not change the fabric of our life"
    This phrase is from Harry Broudy's Enlightened Cherishing 1974 p.64
    thank you

Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    It means that the writer prefers to show off his or her vocabulary more than he/she likes to communicate well.

Okay, I'll be serious.

'Aesthetic perception' is the problem for me: All perception--by definition--is aesthetic in some way. Both words have to do with the act of using one's senses (hearing, vision, etc.) We have to guess at the sense in which the writer was using the word 'aesthetic.'

If the writer is describing his or her own experience of something, it probably means that the writer was confronted with sights, sounds, or scents that were very detailed and beautiful.

If the writer is describing another person's artistic talents or skills, I would guess that the writer is trying to tell us that the person was capable of producing highly detailed and varied artistic creations.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello.
    What is the meaning of "very rich and copious amount of aesthetic perception"?
    thank you

"Knowing about art, unless accompanied by a very rich and copious amount of aesthetic perception, may not change the fabric of our life"
    This phrase is from Harry Broudy's Enlightened Cherishing 1974 p.64
    thank you

Hi castanheira,
    It means, in far less pompous, inflated words, that one should be very aesthetically sensitive.
    The author suggests that knowledge without sensitivity is not going to have much affect on our lives.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think that "aesthetic perception" refers to either an innate or learned capacity to "appreciate" art. Artistic appreciation doesn't refer to simply valuing a work of art but to judging its merits and understanding its context or milieu, the level of artistry, the technique and skill, etc.

Note this definition of "appreciate" from M-W:
    c: to judge with heightened perception or understanding : be fully aware of
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appreciate

The writer is saying that you can "like" art or "enjoy" it, but that it won't affect your life unless you view it with greater insight or understanding.

JamesM

My understanding of the sentence is that the author thinks that mere knowledge of art is not life-changing in itself. It takes a well-developed appreciation of what makes art "art" in order to have it affect your experience. I believe "aesthetic perception" is being used to mean "appreciation of art's aesthetic qualities."

As an aside, "rich and copious amount" seems awfully flowery and imprecise to me. A "rich amount"?

[edit] I see cuchu has done a much better job of explaining it. :)