'very used' with 'used' purely in the passive mode

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I've always thought when 'use,' or any other verbs for that matter, is used purely in the passive mode, you would most likely use 'very much,' not just 'very' to modify it, if you want to use 'very' to intensify the degree of it ... until I came across this. If it was an adjective, then 'very' would be suitable .... Could 'very' be used too?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, gato. Another word is not necessary when using got. Got is a common word to replace was in many instances. I understand "He got arrested" very well and I'd say it is very used. (English only forum: get)

• Packard

USA, English
    I've always thought when 'use,' or any other verbs for that matter, is used purely in the passive mode, you would most likely use 'very much,' not just 'very' to modify it, if you want to use 'very' to intensify the degree of it ... until I came across this. If it was an adjective, then 'very' would be suitable .... Could 'very' be used too?
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, gato. Another word is not necessary when using got. Got is a common word to replace was in many instances. I understand "He got arrested" very well and I'd say it is very used. (English only forum: get)
    I've seen that phrasing. It would not be my first choice. I would rather say, "It has seen hard use" or "it has seen extended use", as opposed to "it is very used".

Lyndon

Banned
    N/A
    I would read that as an elision meaning 'very often used' / 'very much used', and I would probably accept it in colloquial speech, but not in a formal context.

It's also unintentionally humourous -- a poster from California says "He got arrested" is very used -- in a State which has one of the highest prison populations in the country. :p

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >