vide anthropologique contemporain

lisl

English - South African
Hi there,

I am having a bit of trouble translating the following sentence from a philosophy text:

"Scheler recherche dans la tradition idéaliste ce qui a engendré le vide anthropologique contemporain, qui ne sait plus lire dans l’amour, la confiance ou l’espérance, des actes orientés."

I am not sure if he means "the contemporary anthropological sense of emptiness", or whether I can get away with a more direct translation... and as for the rest of the sentence - any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• gillyfr

English - England
    Welcome lisl. In the philosophical sense, "vide" means "vacuum" or "void", as per meaning number 2 in the WR dictionary.

As for the rest of the sentence, I'm not sure what you do and don't understand.

A day in Eireann

France - French
    I'd say the void, here. It baxically says that in today's cultures, people are devoid of the habiltity to read in people's acts, and are so much analysing it ( guessing from the anthropologist mention) from a culture-fixed set of rules and reasons :

As to : qui ne sait plus lire dans l’amour, la confiance ou l’espérance, des actes orientés ..........

Something in the line of : that can no longer see the love, trust or hope that fueled "actes orientés"

I'd need more context on those acts. Are they in the sense of biased acts ? Or as Acts carried out with a purpose in mind ?

lisl

English - South African
    Thanks for this!

I'd need more context on those acts. Are they in the sense of biased acts ? Or as Acts carried out with a purpose in mind ?[/quote]

actually, in parentheses after this I have: "(manquant ainsi une dimension essentielle du désir, sa nature intentionnelle)" - but I don't know if that changes anything re the translation...

Also, regarding your previous suggestion - I had read "anthropological" as meaning "human situation" - do you think it refers to the "discipline of anthropology"? As in - "contemporary anthropology is devoid of an ability to read love, etc... into these acts"?

Merci!

A day in Eireann

France - French
    Thanks for this!

I'd need more context on those acts. Are they in the sense of biased acts ? Or as Acts carried out with a purpose in mind ?
    actually, in parentheses after this I have: "(manquant ainsi une dimension essentielle du désir, sa nature intentionnelle)" - but I don't know if that changes anything re the translation...

Also, regarding your previous suggestion - I had read "anthropological" as meaning "human situation" - do you think it refers to the "discipline of anthropology"? As in - "contemporary anthropology is devoid of an ability to read love, etc... into these acts"?

Merci![/quote]

ok so I'll sum this up then as I understand it from your excerpts.

According to this philosopher, in modern society we have developped a tendency to seeing the actions that were inspired by some form of desire (by human emotions) through the eyes of an anthropologist. We no longer see the love, the hope, etc that had decided on the course of actions taken by our fellow human beings, the actions they had oriented towards the pursuit or fulfilment of their needs and desires such as hope, love and trust, but instead see them as an anthropologist would see them in terms of social status, ethnical background, etc, thus devoid of all emotional, personal desire.

A day in Eireann

France - French
    I'll add that unless there is something else in your document, all one can say is that anthropologist can simply refer to the approach used in the study of the reasons behind human acts than to the science itself. Have we forgotten to listen to our instincts, to our hearts and only judge other by rules and society distinctions, thus not recognising that such or such act was carried out for the person was hoping to reach his goal through them, a goal that was not dictated by society but by human emotions. It is fair keeping in mind though that the modern anthropologist is often seen as just that: a scientist unable to take the human factor into the equation. So he may be going as far as that in your text. I don’t know, the context should tell you.

< Previous | Next >