vide grenier/foire aux greniers

caz_yellop

English/England
I am translating an events programme. I found in another thread that vide grenier is a flea market or car boot sale. I also have to translate "foire aux greniers" which at one point is followed by (ambiance champetre). Is it a similar thing, or more like a country fair?

Thank you!

• tilt

French French
    Vide-greniers and foire aux greniers are the same. Places where people sell the mess they have in their attics - or cellars - to make some room for the mess they'll buy in other car boot sales. :rolleyes:

tilt

French French
    ...or garage sale, or tag sale or (if you have upscale items) an estate sale

boot sales are limited to shoe store clearances in AE!
    There is a difference between these sales and our vide-greniers. As far as I know, in yard-or-whatever sales, people sell their own stuff in there own garden. Un vide greniers is a market where people come with their objects and rent a space to display them.
    For this, flea market is probably its best translation.

david314

American English
    There is a difference between these sales and our vide-greniers. As far as I know, in yard-or-whatever sales, people sell their own stuff in there own garden. Un vide greniers is a market where people come with their objects and rent a space to display them.
    For this, flea market is probably its best translation.
    I believe that this is also referred to as, a swap meet.

< Previous | Next >