video text

SORENNA

Persian
Heloo
i am having hard times to get the idea behind "The Video text" in here.

In these performed events, consumers do not simply work to
produce meaning from advertisements but actively work to enact the events that
imbue value for the commodity and are used to create the video text.
In these performance and video texts we can see the way in which the commodity is no longer central.
The quality of the photographic image as witness and
evidence is crucial in impacting on the meaning-making process in both the video
text
and that of the performance in this example.

p256

Photography: A Critical Introduction, by Liz Wells.

• Juhasz

English - United States
    Presumably it's this definition, from the WR dictionary: "anything considered to be a subject for analysis by or as if by methods of literary criticism."

This book, as has been pointed out in previous threads you're started, is written in a particularly hard to translate dialect of academese.* I would not expect to read or hear video text in a non-academic context.

*Wiktionary: "(pejorative) A formal or artificial form of communicating prevalent in institutes of higher education." Also characterized by the unnecessary addition of syllables and words, presumably because a longer word or sentence must be a smarter word or sentence. Consider, for example, "consumers...actively work to enact." This phrase gains nothing from the inclusion of "actively work to" (also, can you work inactively? Seems to me that work needs to be an activity for it to be work) beyond what would be conveyed by, "consumers...enact."

Juhasz

English - United States
    That seems like a reasonable interpretation, Edinburgher. I suppose I took the pair, "performance and video text" to be similar kinds of things. If the "video text" is written text, how do you understand this, "the events that...are used to create the video text"?

Perhaps if we knew what the performances were, we could say more confidently what the author had in mind.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    If the "video text" is written text, how do you understand this, "the events that...are used to create the video text"?
    Good question. No idea. Perhaps the events are some kind of brainstorming sessions at which people decide what the text should be.

Unfortunately I can't access the wider context at the link the OP has provided. The relevant page is "not shown in this preview".

Juhasz

English - United States
    A moderator is probably going to delete the above post (because you've quoted more than the allowed four sentences), but I think just this line tells us enough: "There are two texts here, the performance and the viral video." It appears that I was correct. The video is a text, i.e. "a subject for analysis by or as if by methods of literary criticism."

Why the author repeatedly writes "video text" where "video" would probably have sufficed is a mystery to me (or perhaps I addressed that point in the note on my first post).

< Previous | Next >