Videoludico

< Previous | Next >

Poianone

Italian, Italy
I have a doubt taunting my mind: how do you translate "industria videoludica" or "Industria dei videogiochi"?
Videogame's Industry or Videogaming Industry? :confused:

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Poianone said:
    I have a doubt taunting my mind: how do you translate "industria videoludica" or "Industria dei videogiochi"?
    Videogame's Industry or Videogaming Industry? :confused:
    Videogame Industry
    or
    Videogaming Industry

are both OK.

I don't think I'd use possesive (...e's) here, since it's the industry that posseses the videogames and not vice versa.

ElaineG

USA/English
    Poianone said:
    Videogame's Industry :thumbsdown: or Videogaming Industry? :confused:
    Può essere: "video game industry" o (meno comune ma possibile) "video gaming [due parole] industry". "Videogaming" forse non è proprio scorretto ma non è molto usato, e preferisco "video game"/"video gaming".

ElaineG

USA/English

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Poianone said:
    Thanks to everyone! :) So, it's better video game industry rather than videogame industry, I'm quite surprised! Thanks Elaine
    Though I'm not disagreeing with "Video Game Industry", English is very flexible, and many people (not the majority) are using the single word. Video games :))) are so ubiquitous, that I don't see them as a game in which we use video to play it. I see it as a "single" thing - a videogame - but then again, maybe it's my teutonic background that makes me want to run words together! :)D)

ElaineG

USA/English
    Video games :))) are so ubiquitous, that I don't see them as a game in which we use video to play it.
    No, but video tells us what kind of game it is. "Do you want to play a game tonight?" "Sure, what are you up for? A video game, a board game or what?"

We don't say boardgame or cardgame, and I don't think board and card are there to distinguish the equipment used but to give you the typology. After all, in another era, we spoke of parlour games, not parlourgames, which wasn't communicating that you needed a "parlour" to play them!

(Now, we do say ballgame.... but that's a whole 'nother ballgame. ;) )

Obviously, there's a strong minority usage for videogame. But not being teutonic and finding newly confected compounds more of an eyesore, I vote with the majority on this one.

P.S. I definitely vote against Video Game Industry. It's not a proper noun that I know of, and too many capitals are as evil as too few! It must be the Teuton in you again, Tim.:D

< Previous | Next >