Viewing-Tower or Lookout-Tower ?

< Previous | Next >
  • Copyright

American English
    If you're using the tower for viewing a racing event, it would be a viewing tower. If you had a person stationed up there to watch out for forest fires, it would be a lookout tower.

Copyright

American English
    Oh, no, now I have to review my perfect (and perfectly fast) definition. :)

You can call anything anything. :) So if they want to call it a Lookout Tower, it's fine with me. I'm certainly going to understand its function. And as you drive along some American roads and highways, you'll find Lookout Points, so the use of "lookout" is used for purposes of scenic viewing.

Lookout does sound more active than Viewing.

Jada84

German
    Ok, but what´s better to write for the first one ? I found no english description for this one at another website. So when I´m on top I see the speedway far away but I can´t clearly see the race. I think it´s not made for it because they close it when there is a race. :D The rest is just forest.

Copyright

American English
    If you can't see the race, then it's probably not a "viewing tower." So perhaps "lookout tower" would work, but it would be nice to know what its original purpose was.

Jada84

German
    Oh ok. I think it´s just like a landmark, made for visitors. There is an old rotary excavator u can see from there, too.

Jada84

German
    "You climb it, you look out, and you see what you can see."
    True. :D

Then I write Lookout Tower. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D

< Previous | Next >