views from a <lookout> <viewpoint>

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
This sentence is self-made. It's part of a composition about a trip to Ibiza.
In Ibiza I saw many wonderful views from a lookout.

My question:
I wonder if "lookout" and "viewpoint" are interchangeable in the context above?

Thanks in advance.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No. Both may have good views but a lookout is where you keep watch for something - perhaps looking out over a harbour to see if enemy ships are approaching.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Lookouts tend to be particular places where a watch used to be kept. They are usually excellent viewpoints (unless vegetation has grown up in the meantime), so if you happen to be at one then you could use either word. A viewpoint is anywhere with a good view.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    No. Both may have good views but a lookout is where you keep watch for something - perhaps looking out over a harbour to see if enemy ships are approaching.
    Hi Julian,
    Thanks for you help. Then neither of them work, do they?
    I really thought that "viewpoint" was a little better, as in the example below.
    We saw the whole city of Barcelona from the Montjuic viewpoint.

TL

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hi Julian,
    Thanks for you help. Then neither of them work, do they?
    I really thought that "viewpoint" was a little better, as in the example below.
    We saw the whole city of Barcelona from the Montjuic viewpoint.

TL
    (The "no" meant the words were not interchangeable. A viewpoint is fine - they are often marked on tourist maps as such:))

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Lookouts tend to be particular places where a watch used to be kept. They are usually excellent viewpoints (unless vegetation has grown up in the meantime), so if you happen to be at one then you could use either word. A viewpoint is anywhere with a good view.
    Got that, Uncle Jack. I wasn't that wrong this time. "Lookout" is much more appropriate for the sentence in the OP.

TL

< Previous | Next >