Vif teece ike iff

winnie

italy, italian
i need some help with mispelling of a few words. for copyright reasons i can't wright down the original statement but it sounds like that:

"... and big whales. And huge seals vif teece ike iff."

i have figured out that vif means with, teece are teeth, ike is like but i don't understand iff att all.

Could anyone help?

thanks in advance!
winnie

• Silvia

Italian
    winnie said:
    for copyright reasons i can't wright down the original statement
    Excerpts should be allowed... if you include the source. I don't know how people could help you if you don't quote the words you want to translate, and most of all, how can they be accurate? A guess is just a guess.

winnie

italy, italian
    mirandolina said:
    Could it be "with teeth like knives"?
    mirandolina you are wonderful!!

i'm really dumb! maybe one could have understud the meaning only using logic, i did not do it!

thank you again

winnie

winnie

italy, italian
    silviap said:
    Excerpts should be allowed... if you include the source. I don't know how people could help you if you don't quote the words you want to translate, and most of all, how can they be accurate? A guess is just a guess.
    i beg your pardon, silviap
    it is evident that my English is so poor that i did not explained well myself. What i tryed to say is: i can't quote the very sentence words so i write some other words with a similar meaning then i quote (in italic) words to be interpreted.
    actually i quoted them in italic.

bye
    winnie

Panpan

England, English
    Hi Winnie

I think the sentance means 'with teeth like this', the spelling represents the distortion caused by the narrator demonstrating, by pulling a face to bare their teeth at the same time as speaking.

Hope this helps

Panpan

Silvia

Italian
    winnie said:
    i beg your pardon, silviap
    it is evident that my English is so poor that i did not explained well myself. What i tryed to say is: i can't quote the very sentence words so i write some other words with a similar meaning then i quote (in italic) words to be interpreted.
    actually i quoted them in italic.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand. You can quote two words before that and can't quote the three following words? How come? And how are the words similar? Do we have to find a translation for words similar to the ones you're really looking for? Is it a game or something? Sorry but I don't get it.

zebedee

Gt. Britain - English
    Panpan said:
    Hi Winnie

I think the sentance means 'with teeth like this', the spelling represents the distortion caused by the narrator demonstrating, by pulling a face to bare their teeth at the same time as speaking.

Hope this helps

Panpan
    I agree with Panpan.

If it were "with teeth like knives" it would be "vif teece ike ifes" to rhyme with "knives" (long "i" sound).
    "iff" rhymes better with "this" (short "i" sound not long one.)

cheers,
    zeb

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    winnie said:
    i need some help with mispelling of a few words. for copyright reasons i can't wright write down the original statement but it sounds like that:

"... and big whales. And huge seals vif teece ike iff."

i have figured out that vif means with, teece are teeth, ike is like but i don't understand iff att all.

Could anyone help?

thanks in advance!
    winnie
    Copyright law is not at issue here. The entire story is posted on the web here:

Terry Pratchett - Interesting Times
    ... head. Also killer whales. And great big seals vif teece ike iff.'. 'This
    is off the wall, I know,' said the Bursar, brightly. 'What ...
    www.angelfire.com/alt/backalleylibrarian/ Pratchett__Terry_-_Discworld_17_-_Interesting_Times.htm - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

ciao,
    Cuciu

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Translation is always easier with context...just ask DDT about the Pickle thread.

Here is the context:

It is from the source cited above.

'It'd get you there in no time at all,' said the Senior Wrangler. 'We're wizards, after all. We could give you your own bag of wind.'

'Ah. Forward the Dean,' said Ridcully, pleasantly. 'I heard that,' said a voice from above. 'Overland,' said the Lecturer in Recent Runes. 'Up around the Hub? It's ice practically all the way.'

'No,' said Rincewind.

'But you don't sink on ice.'

'No. You tip up and then you sink and then the ice hits you on the head. Also killer whales. And great big seals vif teece ike iff.'

'This is off the wall, I know,' said the Bursar, brightly.

'What is?' said the Lecturer in Recent Runes.

'A hook for hanging pictures on.'

There was a brief embarrassed silence.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Finally, the interpretation: The speaker has put his fingers into his mouth to show what the tusks look like, hence the strange pronunciation.

ciao,
    C.

winnie

italy, italian
    i was out on the week end so i did not replay promptly to your mails.

anyway now the meaning is pretty clear!

i would thank everybody for help given!

ciao,
    winnie

< Previous | Next >