vigilante

syrita

English [UK]
Hi All

Remarqué en 1997 avec le drame sportif 24 heures sur 24 où Bob Hoskins entraîne des jeunes à boxer pour les sortir de la délinquance et le vigilante Dead Man's Shoes (2004) avec son ami Paddy Considine dans le rôle d'un ex-commando qui se lance dans une croisade sanglante pour venger son frère...

This is about a director and I am trying to understand 'vigilante' in the above context. It's described as a psychological thriller on IMDB. Does 'vigilante' mean 'edge-of-your-seats' in the way a thriller keeps you totally focused on the film and what happens next, so you the viewer is 'vigilant' or does it mean 'acutely observed', on the part of the director (So the director is vigilant, skilful)?
Thanks!

Syrita

• Itisi

English UK/French
    vigilante
    A person who considers it their own responsibility to uphold the law in their neighbourhood and often does so summarily and without legal jurisdiction.

Strange, as it's not used in French, and it's used for a person... But the main character in the film is acting as a vigilante. :confused:

Last edited:

syrita

English [UK]
    Wow, so the character is the vigilante. OK. Missed that completely.

You do have vigilant used in French on the forum? Watchful, alert? Is it a play on words? No. Can't be as it has an 'e' at the end, vigilante it is then.

syrita

English [UK]
    It's weird. I have had this forum query the French in my last two texts to translate. One is by a published author, the other is a journalist. What can you do lol?

Reynald

Français - France
    Remarqué en 1997 avec le drame sportif 24 heures sur 24 où Bob Hoskins entraîne des jeunes à boxer pour les sortir de la délinquance et le vigilante Dead Man's Shoes (2004) avec son ami Paddy Considine dans le rôle d'un ex-commando qui se lance dans une croisade sanglante pour venger son frère...
    In this context I think that le vigilante Dead Man's shoes is short for le film de vigilante Dead Man… = the vigilante movie Dead Man...

And the character is a vigilante (définition # 2, Itisi). Un vigilant in French.

Last edited:

Reynald

Français - France
    Then it should be le film de vigilante (a category, like Clint Eastwood's first movies).
    In your text the author mentions two categories of films before giving the title : le drame sportif 24 heures sur 24… et le (film de) vigilante Dead Man's Shoes.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >