Village stove

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by eastren, Nov 21, 2013.

  1. eastren Banned

    Pleas translate in Arabic.
    stove that used in village to cook the food. the women burn the sticks in stove to make the fire then they cook.
  2. momai

    momai Senior Member

    Arabic - Syria
    I think you mean "fireplace" if so, it is مدفأة حطب or موقد .
  3. akhooha Senior Member

    English - USA
    I'd say it depends on what villages you're talking about. There are many types of "village stoves" that use firewood and they've got several different names.
  4. ahmedcowon Senior Member

    It is known as كانون "kanoon" in Egyptian villages
  5. إسكندراني

    إسكندراني Senior Member

    أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    In Alexandria we call the gas stove وابور
    But the standard word is موقد
    If it's for heating only then مدفأة
    and in all cases you can use نار
    So 'put dinner on the stove' in Egyptian is حط الغدا على النار
  6. akhooha Senior Member

    English - USA
  7. إسكندراني

    إسكندراني Senior Member

    أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Ok so to me both pictures are a وابور and for all egyptians a modern cooker is a بوتاجاز but i guess others can confirm maybe theres a word i forgot since its a long time since we had a stove.

    ان كنت تقصد ما يستخدم في الطهو والخبز مثلا ففي مصر
    فرن oven
    وأظن أنه في الشام عندهم مخابز ترابية شبيهة لتلك الموجودة في الهند ولها اسم شبيه
    تنور clay oven

    الغريب اني لم اسمع هذه الكلمة ابدا وانا عايش في مصر والاحظ ان الفلاحين احيانا عندهم مصطلحات كنت احسبها شامية
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
  8. ahmedcowon Senior Member

    الكانون اختفى منذ مدة طويلة ولكني ما زالت أتذكر أن جدتي في القرية كانت تطهي بعض الطعام عليه
  9. cherine

    cherine Moderator

    Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    You are right.
    I wouldn't call the second picture wabuur. I think it has a different name from بوتاجاز which has an oven below it, but it still has the word botagaaz in it.

    As for the village stove, as far I know it's called forn or forn baladi فرن بلدي .

Share This Page