villager vs. peasant

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Hello,

As you know sometimes the word 'peasant' is offensive. But is it always offensive? I mean I don't know the difference between 'villager' and 'peasant'

For example, suppose that my friend asks me to talk about my father. And my father still lives in a village.

I want to tell her/him these two sentences:

My father is a villager.
My father is a peasant.

:confused: is it offensive if I introduce my father as a peasant?

I found this thread: Peasant vs farmer
But it didn't help me.
Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    My father is a peasant. :D Do not say this! = my father is an uncultured, ignorant man whose ideas stem from the 16th century.

However, if, for example, you are talking about life as it was four or five hundred years ago or more, then "peasant" has the meaning of "agricultural workers and/or their family members who usually have few material possession." In this sense, it is neutral.

It can also be used in this sense for less developed societies abroad today but, if it is, it is slightly derogatory/condescending: "Chinese peasants are benefiting from the new prosperity and the subsequent, increased demand for food."

My father is a villager. = My father lives a rural life; my father lives in a village. However, although this is neutral, it would be unusual to say it. "Villager" usually describes a class of people rather than an individual. It would have to be in a specific context:

A: "People in the country think that we who live in towns are mad."
    B: "My father is a villager and he has no such thoughts."

or

TV News: "Today we sent our reporter to Tajabad-e-Sofla to see what the villagers thought of the president's announcement." We spoke with one of the villagers, Mr Mohtajeh, and he said the president was insane."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >