villagers (may have been unprepared/ may be unprepared) for accomodating

< Previous | Next >

be cool forever

Vietnam
Thank you so much, Mr Pops91710
Can I ask another question? Which is appropriate in this situation?
To remain on the safe side, we should not take things for granted and should be able to cope with all kinds of contingency; in Salts, for instance, the villagers (may have been unprepared/ may be unprepared) for accomodating all the visitors.

<< Moderator's note: This is a new question, split from this thread:
shouldn't be expecting/ can't have expected >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello be cool forever. :)

We need more information to answer your question. Are you talking about something that happened in Salts in the past, or something that is happening now?

be cool forever

Vietnam
    Hello Cagey,
    I fully appreciate your help. I understand what you want to know but that's all I have, so I can't answer your question. The given context also makes me confused. As you said, I know there is something plain with it so it might not be dealt with, mightn't it?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Is this from an exercise? I should have asked you earlier. One of the problems with exercises is that they don't have context. Next time, be sure to tell us where you saw something, so we won't bother you with questions.

Here is why I asked the question. To me, both of them seem acceptable, but they have different meanings.
    In Salts, for instance, the villagers may have been unprepared for accomodating all the visitors.
    --- At some time in the past the villagers in Salts were unprepared for visitors who came. Perhaps you would say this if you were using what happened in Salts as an example of something you wanted to avoid.

In Salts, for instance, the villagers may be unprepared for accomodating all the visitors.

--- Possibly now, in the present. the villagers are unprepared for visitors who may come in the future. Perhaps you would say this if you think people should do something to help the villagers get prepared.

Added: The odd thing is that in both these cases, I would say "unprepared to accommodate all the visitors", but there may be something I'm missing.
    [In real life I would say "may not have been prepared to accommodate all the visitors" but that is an entirely different topic. ;) ]

Last edited:

be cool forever

Vietnam
    Dear Cagey,
    You are so right. It is from my exercises.
    But for your help, I couldn't understand the circumstances.
    I want to say thank you again for your generosity you've shown when you didn't mind typing to explain them to me.

< Previous | Next >