villagers

Olympia28

Australia, English
Hi, this will probably generate a bit of discussion but I'd like to ask:
I often heard my uncle (from the village) use the word "χωριάτιδες" to mean "fellow villagers" -- with no negative connotations whatsoever. I understand that the more widely known word "χωριάτες" does have a negative connotation (whether it's these days or always, I don't know). Anyway, my uncle was born in the 20's, been in Australia since the 50's. Has anyone else ever heard χωριάτιδες used in this way, to simply mean "village folk" or "fellow villagers"? Just curious.

• Perseas

The ending "-ηδες" is a very common one for nouns. The standard is "χωριάτες", but it wouldn't strike me as very odd, if someone said "χωριάτηδες", especially if he is an elderly person or from a village.

dmtrs

Greek
    I've never heard the word χωριάτηδες (that's how it should be written in the male gender which is dominant and would be used in such an expression). The word "χωριάτες" most of the time has α negative connotation indeed, but it's not impossible to use the word for "fellow villagers". The usual choice, though, would be "χωριανοί".

cross-posting with Perseas

< Previous | Next >