Vine Isus

Sara Lee

Chinese
Hello, dear everyone,
I came across a Romanian phrase that I don't understand.
Could you please help to explain what the exact meaning of "Vine Isus" in English is?

Ps: And could you please recommend me a good Romanian dictionary?

Thanks in advance~

Last edited by a moderator:
  • farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    Isus is a another spelling for Iisus, the more common spelling for Jesus in Romanian. Vine Isus/Iisus -> Jesus comes.

For general Romanian language resources please check out the Resources thread. WR has an EN - RO dictionary you can access from the Romanian forum page. A Romanian only dictionary site can be accessed here, dexonline.ro.

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Isus is a another spelling for Iisus, the more common spelling for Jesus in Romanian. Vine Isus/Iisus -> Jesus comes.

For general Romanian language resources please check out the Resources thread. WR has an EN - RO dictionary you can access from the Romanian forum page. A Romanian only dictionary site can be accessed here, dexonline.ro.

Hi, deah farscape
    Thank you so much for your great help.
    Your answer helps me a lot!

JoAnne van Heff

Romanian
    In the Christian context, "Jesus is coming" is the only sentence that is heard - it's about Jesus' imminent coming. Jesus doesn't come every day/week/ month etc., but he is coming soon (according to the Christian belief).

farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    That's an interpretation based on belief and likely not on a concrete context.

I'm not saying that the translation is wrong but rather that you can't say that it is the only correct one.

danielstan

Romanian - Romania
    Lost in translation...

If one translates from English to Romanian he gets:
    "comes" -> "vine"
    "is coming" -> "vine"
    Romanian does not differentiate between "comes" and "is coming".

So, if we are to translate and adapt (to the context), I think the best is "Jesus is coming".

farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    Lost in translation...

If one translates from English to Romanian he gets:
    "comes" -> "vine"
    "is coming" -> "vine"
    Romanian does not differentiate between "comes" and "is coming".

So, if we are to translate and adapt (to the context), I think the best is "Jesus is coming".

I'm trying to prove a point, why we have the WR fora rules, so bear with me :)

Iată vine H... -> Here comes H
    Când vine H să ne mântuiască se vor deschide porțile... -> When H comes to save us, the gates would open
    Vine H să ne mântuiască -> H comes/is coming to save us

They all work but having the actual context would, most likely, eliminate ambiguities.

A) the translation should be RO to EN since this is what the OP has requested
    B) there is no context just a two-word "phrase" in RO
    C) the WR rules require a context to be provided for any and all translation requests, to avoid ambiguities and ensuing speculative discussions
    D) the OP is learning the language therefore some liniency could be warranted

farscape - moderator

Zareza

Romanian
    Hi,
    I can guess the context because I also saw this graffiti message on the walls in Romanian city.

There are some guys that sometimes write that Vine Isus (Jesus is coming) on the walls of the buildings. Because of the spelling I can suppose they are not Orthodox (These always spell Iisus).